Favorite Late Night Snack for Eating in Shop

chefmagnus@grics.net

So which taste better MDF or granola bars from the store. I hate most commercial granola. I find it too loaded with unnecessary sugars and chocolate chips and such. I make bars in a twinkie mold pan that were loaded with real nuts and dried fruit. My fav is dried blueberries, almonds, hazelnuts, honey, real oats, wheat berries, and just a touch of cinnamon. They had almost a 1100 calories each and would keep you going for a whole morning.

So which taste better MDF or granola bars from the store. I hate most commercial granola. I find it too loaded with unnecessary sugars and chocolate chips and such. I make bars in a twinkie mold pan that were loaded with real nuts and dried fruit. My fav is dried blueberries, almonds, hazelnuts, honey, real oats, wheat berries, and just a touch of cinnamon. They had almost a 1100 calories each and would keep you going for a whole morning.

Yummmmmm!

Very little MDF in my shop ! It has its uses for templates and jigs but only rarely is it part of a finished product. The bars I buy are more nuts and protein than carbs and sugar due to my diabetes. I would love to learn how to make some better bars but doubt I would have the time.

If you set aside a afternoon you could make 5 or 6 flavors. If you can mix concrete you can make good granola bars. Hardest part is getting all the things you want to put into them. Here is a basic recipe, I know that they will keep longer but never had them last that long. 

Coconut Blueberry Nut Squares
4 ounces soy protein powder
2 1/4 ounces oats

4 ounces coconut shredded
2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour
3/4 ounce wheat germ

3/4 ounce wheat berrys
4 ounces of smashed pretzels
9 ounces dried blueberries
8 ounces almonds whole or sliced

4 ounces of hazelnuts
1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu
1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice
3 ounces honey of your choice I like orange blossom 
2 large whole eggs, beaten
2/3 cup nut butter of your choice
Canola oil, for pan

Directions
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350º F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine everything and stir well to combine.  Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish with well oiled hands.

Then bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the freezer for three months. Thaw then eat.

• Like 2

That grilled cheese looks amazing.  Not sure I'd want my greasy cheese fingers all over my tools, but I'd probably risk it if that thing was put in front of me.

Food saps my energy.  I usually wait until I'm done in the shop for the day, then I strap on the feed bag.  That's how I stay in such great shape.

mostly I just drink coffee in the shop... Although I like a Rockstar Energy drink now and then. Yes, I know energy drinks are bad for me.

I usually don't eat in the shop. Sometimes I'll have a large beef and cheese burrito in the house... that guarantees my bride kicks me out of the house, so I can be alone in the shop until the effects wear off.

• Like 1

There's my favorite, what's practical and what I can get away with --- there is little domain overlap... I could create a Venn diagram, but I'm pushed for time this morning... You’ll just have image a virtual Venn diagram:

Favorite would encompass the entire domain of comfort food... That's a no-brainer... Unfortunately it would probably involve crumbs (mice) and/or something sticky/messy (melted cheese), so Favorite would be ruled-out as not-Practical... What I could get aw ay with precludes anything 'bad for me', which by my wife’s definition, includes the entire FDA food pyramid except fresh vegetables, which precludes Favorite… So my Venn would only include non-buttered, non-flavored, non-tasty microwave popcorn…

Buy the way, said popcorn is Practicle, because even the mice in my shop wouldn't touch the stuff...

As stated in several posts, my long-term desire has always been to put a microwave and fridge in the shop... But every time I broach the subject, I go down in flames...

mostly I just drink coffee in the shop... Although I like a Rockstar Energy drink now and then. Yes, I know energy drinks are bad for me.

I usually don't eat in the shop. Sometimes I'll have a large beef and cheese burrito in the house... that guarantees my bride kicks me out of the house, so I can be alone in the shop until the effects wear off.

Go Rockstar! I have a particular aversion to coffee. A teaspoon in a cup of sugar still tastes so bitter that I gag on it. If it weren't for RockStar, I'd never get through the day....
  • Like 1

Before I got hurt I used to be a 2 case of beer drinker in the shop. I have my own full sized fridge just for beer and other drinks. I am allergic to all fruits with pits that includes coffee which is a pit from a fruit bush. Or is coffee a tree? Has anyone ever seen wood from a coffee tree and I don't mean the ones from the South.

Go Rockstar! I have a particular aversion to coffee. A teaspoon in a cup of sugar still tastes so bitter that I gag on it. If it weren't for RockStar, I'd never get through the day....

Look closely you can see a Rockstar can in the background. At any given time there are usually 1 or 2 empties someplace in my shop. It's like a game of "Where's Waldo".. except it's find the Rockstar can.. Can you find the Rockstar Can in this picture? If you said "Right next to the old pair of boxer shorts I'm using as a shop rag" -> You're right!

post-2771-0-36757900-1414519963_thumb.jp