Red oak toy box

Cmac2008

Hey guys I'm taking on a Xmas project... Gna build 3 toy boxes.... Yes I said 3... All the same... I'm wanting to do shaker style frame and panel... The front will have 3 panels and the sides having one with solid wood panels... My ? is what is the best way to join front to sides without a miter? Also thoughts on doing bottom and back? ... I thought for back maybe making a frame with 1/4 ply for the panel... Bottom maybe cut 3/4 dado on all sides and use ply??? Thanks... And yes I said I'm doing 3 by Xmas lol

I think you have a few options, seeing as your already set up for cutting tung and grooves for your Pannels woodbutchers suggestion is ideal because of all the long grain glue surface your creating, if your not oppose to mechanical fastners you can use screws and cover them with plugs, you can use dowels or biscuits because you have so much long grain glue surface, or you could screw and glue a length of 1 X 1 to the inside of each corner.

3/4 ply in a rabbet Will be perfect for the bottom ... Are you raising the boxes of the ground in any way ??

There isn't anything wrong with a plywood panel for the back but a toy box gets pulled out away from the wall exposing the back and this is purely personal preference but if the back is going to be seen I'd rather have it the same but that's just me.

What are you planning for the lid ??

I am not planing on raising the box off the ground at this time... If time permits I may add a moulded skirt later.... I would like to stay away from visible fasteners if possible... I do have a KREG jig but I was kinda leaning towards maybe using a rabbet and just having 1/4" of the end grain visible....

Biscuits, dowels or Dominoes would be my choice for joining the sides (respectively: good, better, best).  Rabbets would work too, but mechanical reinforcement is always ideal.

Doing three by X-mas will probably take about 50% more time than doing one by X-mas.  Most of the time is spent setting up machines...batching the parts goes quickly once you get there.  The additional time spent will mostly be on the extra sanding and finishing.