small shop lumber storage on ceiling bad idea?

tcarswell

Ok. I read in another post it's not a good method of storage. I couldn't figure out why. And yes thank you ! Everything is supported well with lags and 2x4 every 16 to 20 inches . Everything is stacked fairly tightly should i sticker it ? I left an inch or two between vertical stacks but the verticals are just stacked on one another

Just something to think about... 300bf White Oak weighs around 1000lbs. And I'll add a cautionary note: Our VP Eng stored stock overhead in his shop in a well designed/executed rack... After a decade of reliable use, he was shifting the stock when something gave and the several hundred bf crashed down on him... He was hurt and trapped under the stock until his wife found him several hours later. Suffered a couple of broken ribs and shock/blood loss... He was lucky... I'm not saying don't do it, just understand the risks of heavy things over your head... Note: being a very stubbern guy, he redesigned his overhead rack with a block/tackle lift setup so he can lower the rack, access stock and then raise the rack...

• Like 1

Ya know. Triple h thanks for your post. I'm gonna slap some more lumber on the racks throughout. And add Simpson straps to all. It won't cost but 50 dollars and considering me my wife and my 7 month old son frequent the shop and it's got tons of money worth the lumber on all of them it's absolutely worth the effort. Thanks for sharing .

And lol a glue lam is a structural beam that's big and thick it's glued together for strength and rigidity.

My neighbor, a retired insurance guy, said that it was considered a fire hazard if you filled the space between the rafters and the roof. So added 2x4s across the rafters every intersection of boards coming down about every 16-24"then stacked the boards perpendicular to the rafters with a walk way down the center. It is a bit of a crazy system because the longer boards are on the bottom then the shorter board are stickered until about half way up. I did this so you could get the longer boards out by stacking the short boards onto the pile next to it. It is a bit of a walk to get to it. You have to walk through the house and then up to the second floor then up to the attic then across it to a door that opens to the space to the attic then down a ladder. You can slide long boards down and carry short ones with you back to the shop.  We built another garage on the other end of the house when the city added another street to that side of us. Saves us about 3/4 mile to get any where. I will start a new thread for the math test. 

Interesting . I'm trying to upload pics of mine but the forum keeps saying the photo is too large. I'm not exactly a photo shop expert.

Me either, Im really stupid when it comes to photoshop. I just take pics with my phone and email them to myself. The iPhone will ask what size I want them sent as. Medium works on the forum just fine.