A toy box made from walnut

Guido_de

When looking for something to build for a young girl for Christmas Marc's new build came along. I've decided to build the toy box but will have to modify the lid according to the parents wishes. They want a place for a child to sit on, meaning a flat surface. I'm leaning towards a solid wood panel with breadboard ends. This will also mean that it won't be painted. I came across a large quantity of walnut on the weekend. It's air dried stock, partly 25-30 years old. It has a couple blemishes (someone was hungry).

A couple pictures to illustrate the progress:

A pile of wood (for about 150usd) measuring an estimated 2.5x0.5x0.4m, the beams are 12cm thick

562cd38d0d33d3ac84b9ed8c8762cfef.jpg865d46c393d84e6acd67a49b4b03b10b.jpg

Took the smaller boards for the chest and marked rough cuts.

f25c354e224d21ee15a0f98bc1f6f1ff.jpgb2790abd5b87452806169b9d391ee23d.jpg

Started to face joint the stack. One face of each piece is now sufficiently jointed. I'll continue rough stock prep tomorrow.

1a91ccb8154d344e835426441eb815ab.jpg7fe9d303be1c75e9a68646d9bfa6f596.jpg

It's my first encounter with that particular wood. It's great to work with. It is worth mentioning though that the particular bits and pieces are a bit rough - several knots and some sap wood will have to be taken into account.

I didn't get much done today other than edge jointing and sending everything through the planer.

post-6655-14145332921733_thumb.jpgpost-6655-14145333279594_thumb.jpg

It's my first encounter with that particular wood. It's great to work with. It is worth mentioning though that the particular bits and pieces are a bit rough - several knots and some sap wood will have to be taken into account.

I didn't get much done today other than edge jointing and sending everything through the planer.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1414533278.028338.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1414533305.881943.jpg

All that "roughness" gives walnut its character. Otherwise, you may as well use poplar and stain it dark brown. Your project is looking good!

• 5 weeks later...

I hate when this happens: one month later with the deadline just hours away I face failure.

A colleague fell ill and I had to substitute him on a four week business trip. I got back on Friday and despite spending as much time as possible in the shop I did not finish. I got to the stage of dry assembly (all domino construction) and fitted the breadboard ends. 3d13af75af9d9e737ba5b68f22087d53.jpg1cefc9c2a361c227eaa1fffa3a11d27e.jpgd6ec3a3e3fafdcc8a29798b2789202a3.jpgaf57d0c602abce4b6db984992609feb3.jpg

It'll be done for Christmas, but not for WWFC. :(

I've made a donation on the website.

• Like 1

expansion and contraction

Exactly. The mortises were cut using a Festool Domino. The mortises in the middle board are cut to exact size, the ones in the breadboardends left/right of the center are cut to maximum oversize (using one cut). This has worked for me in the past and I hope it does so this time. 

I did spend some time in the basement tonight. One of those frustrating moments in hobbiest woodworking:

-I used a sprung joint for the breadboardends but apparently I overtightened the center clamp. The entire assembly is now bowed (mostly the breadboard ends...)

-I have a small Metabo table saw with a sliding table attachment which, at some point, will cause me to drop woodworking... There are no positive stops for the angle adjustment and so it is cubersome to keep it square. Despite checking and testing I managed to cut my rails/styles/sides to length out of sqaure. Makes for a lot of fiddling and some comprise during assembly (i.e. gaps). German table saws are somewhat different from what is available in the US. Cabinet saws and the like are an unknown. Industrial grade saws are exclusively sliders (think Hammer or Felder). My options as such are down to building a crosscut sled (a solution for problem that should exist in the first place), buying a mitre saw (no interest and space), buying a slider (expensive and impossible to get into the basement of my apartment building:); the affordable stuff is sold by different brands and largely made in the same Chinese factory. I have not been impressed with what I have seen, used oldies are far too bulky and heavy).

-I rabbeted parts of the rails and styles for the chalkboardpanel. Lacking a router table I did so using a parallel guide. Whilst climb cutting towards my mark (1/2" or so) it overshot the mark twice...

Oh well...

Remaining steps:

-cutting + template routing the arches (finger protection)

-sanding + breaking edges

-(pre)assembly (that will involve a hammer...)

-finishing (Osmo) + painting 

@ Marc and Nicole: Thank you very much. That certainly does mean a lot. The donation come through none the less:).

Some progress on the last two evenings:

-built templates for the curves (jigsaw, patience, sandpaper). I did use too thick material though...

-built an impromptu router table (I.e. A bit of plywood with the holes in it that now resides in the wing of my table saw (lacks a fence and a safety switch (shame on me)

-managed to paint the panels

-cut the rails (jigsaw + pattern bit)c9a9091038bc9976bbf0bb6827819822.jpgdf8f1e60232519711752f621647eb4c4.jpg