Jet JDP-15MF drill press?

bushwacked

263cf2485bf421e5f4d7f17dd4c28582.jpg

I am looking at upgrading right. Tired of trying to patch a hole when I can just fix it.

Has anyone had any experience with this one? I am assuming since it is Jet it will do almost anything and everything I need it to do without blowing up or burning out motors like I've done before on cheap drill presses??

Thanks!

Drill presses are great to get used. Easier to rehab than any other machine, very common since almost everyone needs one if you do anything in a shop. And usually good floor models can be had for 200 or less.

If your determined to get new than I am sure that one is fine.

Upon saying that I took a look at craigslist. I found a few in my area.

Found 2 delta 17-950L models for $250. And the jet I listed above for $400. I think I will go with one of those 3.

Would 1/4 HP make a big difference?

The Jet is 3/4 Hp and the Delta is 1/2 HP

I'll be honest most of the cheaper drill presses are real close to the same quality. It really takes a whole bunch of money to get a "good" drill press. Most of the cheaper drills will be just fine and right at home in most any wood shop. I have the PM and IIRC it was about a grand and really its nothing special and probably not much if any better that a $500 drill.

I've had a Delta floor model for so long I can't remember when I got it. The laser cross hairs thing on it hasn't been worth a poop. But the machine has (and continues) to perform well with minimal maintenance. Every so often I make sure the table is perpendicular to the drill portion, but other than that....

I will say changing the speeds with belts and pulleys isn't as cool as the PM's easy speed change system... but those frills cost money!

I will say changing the speeds with belts and pulleys isn't as cool as the PM's easy speed change system... but those frills cost money!

They are can also be a pain in the ass. The PM is not made much better than the cheaper units so the adjustable pulley set up gets jammed and you have to take it apart clean and lube.