Help with wood Identification

davewyo

Hi Gang,

I've been quietly following along since about March (2014).

I have a question about some interesting wood I reclaimed and wonder if anyone can help in identification.

Background:

14 years ago my boss told me to "get rid" of a wooden sculpture of a Ram.

I think it was her mother's, presumably purchased quite some time before.

It was about 2.5 to 3 feet long and about 18" to 2' tall at the top of its head.

I kept it in my house for several years and finally a few years ago stuck it outside under a bush (in Jackson, WY).

This spring I pulled it indoors, let it dry a couple of months, and cut it up with a chainsaw to produce pieces I could resaw (6" capability).

The sculpture had a good sized knot-hole or "void" in it and it seems to have spalted a bit while it sat under the bush.

It has some super interesting grain.

I tried to put up some photos (below) but I'm not sure they will show up on this forum, so there is also a link to a picasa web album.

The little box at the end of the album was made from some of the off-cuts. It's a poor photo. The opposite side of the box has the better grain.

The remaining "lumber" is slated for a couple of keepsake boxes/ wedding presents.

Some of the grain looks maybe like mahogany, but truth be told I don't have very much experience with woodworking nor a familiarity with any more exotic lumber than pine and douglas fir.

https://picasaweb.google.com/davewyo1/RamWood?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKnUieearrC-Hg&feat=directlink

It looks like my photos would (edit; I mean wouldn't) go up; said I'm not allowed to use that image extension.

I know it's much nicer to not have to follow some link to see the photos.

If someone wants to give a quick explanation, I will gladly put them up.

Thanks (in advance) for any help,

Dave

Thanks for the welcome. I've been "lurking" so I expected as much.

It seems like woodworkers are some of the more (forum) friendly people.

I'm in Jackson, Wyoming; sometimes called Jackson Hole...but the sculpture was in a residence in Palm Springs 15 years ago and possibly Chicago before that.

Dave

I'm guessing cedar. Any fragrance when you work with it?

Check out the pictures on this page. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20aromatic%20red.htm

It certainly has a fragrance when run through the saw, but it is slightly unpleasant and entirely unlike cedar.

The grain reminds me of elm - of which there are lots of different species.    Here are some sample pictures, scroll down the page on the first link and you will see some with the dark heartwood similar to your boards.   Elm has a "feathered" grain, which basically means the cathedral grain lines kind of fade into each other.  I have also seen ash with similar colors to your boards.  

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm,%20misc.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm,%20misc.htm#chinese

I see what you mean on the elm.

It appears quite similar.

I added a couple of photos to the end of the album which show what I can only call "spotty" grain which resembles some of that in the first of the elm photos link.

Dave