The Wired Workbench (a la FWW)

wouldwurker

With the clutter of a benchtop bandsaw, disc sander, osc. spindle sander, and a few 6g shopvacs that were on sale for $35 at HD, it's time for a new shop bench, dedicated to power tools.  Especially since I've been REALLY enjoying my new LN chisels, and have unfortunately found myself huddled up in the corner of a very cluttered 6 foot workbench practicing my dovetails.  As such, I lose my zen.

So I chose this one from FWW (might be blocked if not a Taunton subscriber, but you should still be able to see a photo)

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/the-wired-workbench.aspx

It's ENTIRELY 3/4" plywood, which I liked, because some of the other electronic features cost a few bucks.  It even has a sliding benchdog/vice system made from 2 Jorgenson 50 pipe clamps.

Even better, all buttjoint/screw and cleat construction, which will be a nice break from the meticulousness of fine joinery.

When I started, I figured I'd take a few ideas and bits and pieces from the design and incorporate it into my own.  Then after a month of no progress, I said *&^% it, and am following the plan verbatim.  Actually, it'll be the first plan I ever followed verbatim (not counting guild builds.)

I also dig that vacuum hose rack up top.  When I use the ROS, that hose drives me bananas.

Two sections underneath for a shopvac and a dust deputy cyclone with a easy remove dust bin. 

Electronic timer/outlet switch turns on the vac and tool at the same time, and lets the vac run a few seconds after the tool shuts off.

Started breaking down the sheet goods last night (not worth a photo).  Purchased the accessories today.  All in, it should be about 3ish panels of 3/4" ply and ~$230 of accessories.  Attached a pic of the Amazon ledger.  Sprung for the Kreg casters.

post-15261-0-94712500-1414517493_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your project... But...

Getting a vacuum clamping setup revolutionized my edge routing, portable sander use, etc. Basically any operation where you need to secure stock, but:

clamp-dogs would get in the way

need to reposition the stock frequently

need to float the edge a couple of inches for profiling operations

Need to secure curved stock, etc, etc.

If I were going to the effort of building a dedicated routing/sanding/etc station, I'd want a more flexable stock-holding solution than a couple of pipe clamps.

Just something to consider...

I went for a turn-key setup, which is expensive. However, Joe sells a kit that I believe you can build for about $350... I know some guys on TWO have done this, so they could provide more info... Take a look, can't hurt.... http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuumclamping.htm

Pretty cool concept with the vacuum clamp.

Doubtful I'll go that route just yet, but yes, I'm still on the fence on the table top setup in this particular plan until I see it come together.  Worst case scenario, I have a couple extra pipe clamps.

Regardless, I constantly find myself not using my vice or dogs, or guides, or squares, or rulers, or vacuum...even when they're right in front of me (cut to me sanding a board held between my knees, with half-*&^ed folded sandpaper).

If you descide not to go all-in on a vacuum clamp, i'll suggest two things:

1) reserve some internal space for the vacuum setup for when you do decide to go all in :)

2) take a look at festool's MFT table top. It's like an acorn table for woodworking. The point is, you can secure curved, irregular, etc items. There are quite a few clever dog-solutions offered for MFT-type table tops.

BTW: FT sells just the top, but don't know how much it is -- but I'll take a wild guess that it's overpriced...

The thing is, I read the article and think it's a good project, but I also think the stock holding solution outlined presupposes a rectilinear world. As my woodworking experience grows, I find myself doing less and less 90d projects and/or projects with curves, bent-lams, etc...

Thanks 3H!

MFT is a bit out of my range right now, although seeing as long as it takes to break down sheet goods, that and a track saw might not be too far in the future.

Really though, I doubt I'll even be doing that much clamping. It's really a support bench for my benchtop bandsaw, OSS and disc sander, with dust collection.

I LOVE that vacuum idea though....plus, it's a great place to put the kids in 'time out'

Between 2 and 3 sheets I believe.  I didn't get crazy with the layout for maximum panel use because I'll find plenty uses for any leftover cuts (French cleats, shop drawers, jigs, etc).

The article seems in depth, but is actually missing some pretty key measurements and dimensions, so I had to spring the $12.99 on the digital plan and sketchup file from Taunton.  I was a but annoyed by the lack of detail in the digital plan.  You have to do a bit of reverse engineering with the measurements that they actually decided to include, in order to figure out some other key measurements.  Most measurements are just plain missing.  Plus, I thought there might actually be some text that accompanied it (e.g. attach the verticle supports first...).  The plans are really just a few pages of exploded components.  Luckily, I know just enough of sketchup to use that file to figure some things out.  9 months ago, with less reps under my belt, I don't think I could have followed this plan.    Maybe I'm just spoiled by guild builds and the Marc/Aaron plans.

I'll likely domino a few pieces to get the skeleton together and stable.  It's so foolproof and quick that it'll actually be quicker than screws for some components. 

Sidebar, I actually went to HD to buy 2 sheets of their highest quality 'Sande' 3/4 ply on Tuesday.  Grabbed em' and took them to the cutting station to cut in half to fit in my car, and the saw was down.

The HD guy wound up giving me 8 sheets of the 2'x4' Sande panels, which was WAY higher quality for the same price.  Not Baltic of course, but a really pretty and smooth veneer, and better looking ply with few gaps.  Took about $75 off the bill.  Not the first time I got pretty good customer service at HD (also, I'm in their hometown).  The Lowes by me is a nightmare, but cheaper on most products. 

I am thinking of making a sanding station with a vacuum clamp system. I can't wait to hear how it works for you. Looking good so far. 

Who is breaking all the saws at the big box stores? I went to Lowe's today and wasn't in the market for sheet goods but their saw had a out of order sign and loads of caution tape. 

Closing up shop for the night. Not used to being so meticulous with screws, but due to exterior visibility and the finishing washers, I've been very detailed on getting them symmetric and pleasing to the eye. The look reminds me of old guitar amps with the exposed chrome screws and finishing washers .

Cleats, doorstops, and the cyclone side apron attached. Cyclone door hatch dry fit

post-15261-14148199152228_thumb.jpgpost-15261-14148199900415_thumb.jpg

Other side

post-15261-14148202274156_thumb.jpg

Closing up shop for the night. Not used to being so meticulous with screws, but due to exterior visibility and the finishing washers, I've been very detailed on getting them symmetric and pleasing to the eye. The look reminds me of old guitar amps with the exposed chrome screws and finishing washers .

Cleats, doorstops, and the cyclone side apron attached. Cyclone door hatch dry fit

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1414819989.205758.jpg

vinnyjojo did they beat you with 2x4s when you got jumped into the Wood Talk gang? What else do you get when you join besides a low rider band saw? Homes you new to get someone to pimp you band saw. It needs some spinners. Or is the first rule that you can't talk about Wood Talk gang? What is the gang name "Marco's 2X4"?

I want everyone to know that I am just joking about the gang stuff. Our area is a battleground for Chicago, St Louis, East and West Coast gangs. We have a murder rate that is just behind Chicago. We average 1 a day between the 5 county area. I just was making light of his low rider band saw.  

Goal today is to throw together the dust bin for the cyclone. I'll use the domino for that. Butt joint drawer/box construction comes together so fast with the edge guides on the domino, it's quicker than screws.

Thanks to Andre S whoever you are for putting the sketchup drawing on the 3d model gallery

post-15261-14149382056375_thumb.jpg