Cheaper CA glue

duckkisser

My inlay involves a lot of ca glue. I use the thin stuff so the glue will seep down between stones and spread out to hold the inlay in place. At the local craft store I pay $3.18 after coupon for a 1oz bottle. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? I'll even buy in bulk since it seems like I go through 1 bottle for every 2-3 medium projects.

Dunno which hobby / craft store you patronize, but my local Hobby Lobby sells CA of various viscosity in 4 oz. bottles. Last time I looked, I believe it was around $6 per bottle.

I want to come to you store here is my store price

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/1-ounce-extreme-power-thin-adhesive-238162/

Like I said, its been a while since I last checked... I'm sure the in-store price falls inline with what you see on the web. The bigger bottles are certainly cheaper per ounce, though.

Hey Duck-

Prior to woodworking, I built many RC planes. CA and epoxy are the primary glues used. I suggest finding your nearest hobby shop that specializes in RC aircraft and getting your CA from them. You can normally get 3 different viscosities, and in multiple sizes. Keep it in the fridge when not in use for longer life. It is waaaaaaaay cheaper than buying the itty bitty tubes of "crazy glue" from the other retail stores.

This is the cheapest I have found

https://thesandingglove.com/Stick-Fast-Cyanoacrylate-Adhesives-CA-Glue.asp

2.66 a oz I might call the company and buy a case if they have it at a discount. I usualy use half a oz per project. So I use up quite a bit frankly I use superglue more then I use wood glue. I need ca glue that stays clear rather then strong or fast drying because I use a lot of it and I'm patient.

Duck-

You can literally buy a 2oz bottle at a hobby shop for $5.99. Have to add tax of course, but no shipping.

Sling I know all about ca glue if you read my original post I tell where I buy my glue currently (hobby shop) and how much with a coupon 3.18$ and the type I use (thin). I literally can't buy a 2oz bottle because my hobby shop does not sell 2oz bottles and definitely not for 6.00 since a 1oz bottle is normally 5.00. i apreciate you trying to help but I don't want to buy from a hobby shop for 6.00 when I can get ca glue for half that cost. I'm looking for cheapest price like whole sale prices since I use large quantities. I buy 3-4 bottles a month so I need large abouts of glue.

Sling I know all about ca glue if you read my original post I tell where I buy my glue currently (hobby shop) and how much with a coupon 3.18$ and the type I use (thin). I literally can't buy a 2oz bottle because my hobby shop does not sell 2oz bottles and definitely not for 6.00 since a 1oz bottle is normally 5.00. i apreciate you trying to help but I don't want to buy from a hobby shop for 6.00 when I can get ca glue for half that cost. I'm looking for cheapest price like whole sale prices since I use large quantities. I buy 3-4 bottles a month so I need large abouts of glue.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you said craft store, so I assumed you were buying at Michaels or a similar store. Sorry about your luck, I have two local hobby shops that sell it at $5.99 for a 2oz bottle in thin, thick or medium viscosity.

It's all good I'm just trying remove the middle man and buy at near cost.

Best I can get is michaels and hobby lobby. hobby lobby is the only one that sells thin ca glue. I figure I might just contact a corporate company and spend some cash and buy a case for a discount. Only hobby shop we had only sold premade kits and collectables like cards. Does not sell the supplies for hobbies.

If you really go through a ton of it, and you really want to buy in bulk...the ideal way to purchase would be to locate a distributor and try to buy it wholesale.  It could be a challenge to get an account, but it's worth a try...if you really go through a ton of it.  Otherwise, it's an expense.  Woodworking is expensive.  Hold your nose and deal with it I guess.

• Like 1

https://m.hobbylobby.com/coupon this will apply to super glue...

that said, if you're burning through OUNCES at a time of CA, may be time to reconsider your technique or swap to a slow set epoxy. 3.18$ for an ounce of super glue is actually a very good bargain, I doubt you would find cheaper anywhere. Epoxy is the only "cheaper" alternative. You can thin out epoxy with xylene, and it will probably be stronger than the CA.  I've set inlays with both epoxy and CA, and frankly I like the work time of the epoxy better myself. The epoxy also fills voids a bit better so the over all look appears more "polished" to me. 

I switch between the two depending on the project. I like the way super glue looks with progressivisly smaller stones until it creates a solid surface but when you look close its individual stones. I think that epoxy fills the gaps too much creating a plastic looking surface. But I have used it for translucent projects or unusual color combinations.