Curly Black Cherry

chefmagnus@grics.net

Here is a close up and a few boards that I stood up because every time I tried to take a picture of the pile it was either too dark or out of focus. If you wet the surface you can see flecks in the grain. What finish will make these flecks show up better. I want to make these boards into panels for my new kitchen cabinets and the drawers for my wife's apothecary cabinet. I have about ~160 bf of this. Is this even enough for these two projects? I would need 23 panels for my kitchen design. What projects would get me ready to take on these projects?

What is the difference between cherry and black cherry. What makes board have the curly grain effect? The flecks are from the way that the board was cut from the log. Correct?

Curly isn't a function of which species so much as growth conditions and luck. Ray flecks are from RAYS so they only show up well on quartersawn surfaces.

Check this out:

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_discussion_figureandgrain_pics.htm

Oh, and not all woods show flakes. Softwoods don't even HAVE rays and most hardwoods have rays too small/weak to show up with much flake even on QS surfaces.

If you want to see eye-poppers, check out

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_discussion_sycamore.htm

Here you go Kiki... just go to www.http://lmgtfy.com It really is a nice way to tell someone that if they take a little time they may find the answer themselves.  I am always happy to answer questions myself but when i ask I question I really try to research it as best as possible beforehand.

Nice material. That's a decent amount of wood but whether it will be enough for your kitchen depends on the design of the doors and face frames. If you plan properly and lay out it could work for the kitchen doors and frames. What is the standard dimension. Black cherry does seem a tad softer other than that it has almost all the same characteristics in my experience. Cherry is far and away my favorite wood. American black being my absolute favorite. I would inspect the batch you have for consistency. I've noticed quarter sawn or figured cherry can be somewhat tough to match for projects like a kitchen