Minimum thickness on a planer

+1 on read the manual. My dewalt can go down to 1/8" but yours might be different. You could also run the board through on a thicker base (like a length of MDF) if the planer cannot go that low but you need to be careful about the board getting so thin that it falls apart.

• Like 1

Mine goes down to around 3/16". You really have to watch what you are doing on those thickness's though as you can end up with just a pile of splinters on some species.

I normally use double sided tape and stick the stock to a backer board. That way you do gain a little support from the backer providing the adhesive is strong enough. Then you have to try and prise it off the backer without breaking it. Been there done that!

Ahh just read that's what John said.

+1 on what John said  :)

If the manual says you can't go that thin, you could always make a sled to raise the wood.  Raising the material effectively makes it so that you can bring the head down to whatever thickness you want without bottoming out your adjustments.

That being said, not all woods are a good idea to plane thinner than 1/8".  If it has any figure, tearout could destroy the board. I know you have a helical head, but I'd still be worried about a board that thin chattering and breaking up in the planer, even with double sided tape and a sled. I go down to 1/8" on my Dewalt, but only on nice flat long-grained boards. I had some poplar with a spot of curl in it once, and the shorter grain blew out and ruined the piece.

Ideally, I'd go find someone with a drum sander instead.

• Like 1