Learning the Art of Woodworking...

AstroDave

Hi All,

I am considering taking some vacation and going to a week long workshop on woodworking.  I've found a couple of places that do this of thing throughout the country.  Given that I am on the east coast I was hoping to stick close to that area.  In my search I found what appears to be a phenomenal program.  However I am at that "dangerous" level of knowledge...(meaning I think I know what I'm looking at but maybe I'm not so smart after all), phase and would appreciate any advice.

The school is the JD Lohr School of Woodworking. http://jdlohrschoolofwoodworking.com/

Thanks...Dave

I know the course you found says "beginner" but it sounds like you are not just a beginner but literally someone who has never used any floor based tools at all. Is this correct or is that an overstatement? The course really does sound like its geared to folks who have started doing small projects on their own and maybe just lack formal education. I am sure they would be happy to take your money, but just listening and reading between the lines it sounds like you would not get as much out of it as folks who have done some furniture work already. Not trying to be harsh but just trying to assess the situation.

Before you take a week out of work and spend literally 1000 dollars (not counting food and lodging) you might want to try something easier to get into. Your profile says Northern Virginia, not sure how far you are from Rockville, Maryland, but there is a pretty spiffy Woodworking Club that I belong to there. They have some courses which are much cheaper and definitely designed for folks who have zero experience. As in folks who have never used any tool let alone the larger floor based tools. 

They have a couple of classes for beginners, specifically the adjustable bookshelf and the little side table. They will set you back 300 some dollars, but they can be done at night during the week. You can check them out here: http://woodworkersclub.com/(their website right now is running a bit slow for some reason, but it loads eventually)

Thanks for the considered response Apple Wood.  I do have some experience but it's limited to some crown molding work with a CMS.  I own a table saw and have done some very limited ripping of sheet goods and cutting 2x4s and other boards for shelving.  Also I just recently took a Intro to Woodworking at my local Woodcraft where I used a Bandsaw, Jointer and planer.   I have several hand power tools that I have used frequently such as my circular saw, jigsaw, laminate router, palm sander etc.

I will review the course again but when I first viewed I got the impression that it would be a good fit...However I may just be a little too eager for my own good so I will certainly check out the club in Rockville.  I'm in Alexandria right off the beltway so it's any easy trip for me...again thanks for the good advice.

Ah then scratch what I said. If you have already done that level of work then this course could be a good fit for you.

My own development into woodworking has been 100% self driven and I have gotten into it not through classes but just by watching videos online and then building progressively more difficult projects. I found that to be very rewarding but its not for everyone.

The woodworking club is great if you don't have a full shop and are thinking of getting into woodworking. They have all the tools and their membership is pretty reasonable considering what they offer. From alexandria its only about 45 minutes to the shop if traffic is not bad.

Oh OK that's good to hear. 

For me I tend to jump into something full bore which can sometimes not turn out so well financially...much to my wife's dismay :)  I love to learn knew skills and have always wanted to learn to build furniture.  

With regard to the shop I have building out my shop and have already begun the investments... So if in a years time you see some nice used gear for sale on craiglist it might just be me :)  I don't think so but you never know :)

Thanks Kiki that is a path I am considering.  The class that I would take wouldn't be until May of next year so I will probably end up with a combination of Apple Wood's advice and yours.  Join the Guild and check out the classes up in my local area.  I will have my shop built out by mid December or earlier and should have time for a few projects to get my feet wet.

+1000 on a guild build.

The G&G Adirondack chair was not only my first guild build, but my first woodworking project.  I knew nothing going into it.  

You really feel like Marc's in the shop with you.  Every detail is covered "make a pencil mark here, measure in 14 inches, make a mark, draw a curve".

Marc covers so many different techniques in that build

- Joinery: M&T joinery, half lap, pinned M&T, plugged screws

- Using a dado stack, router, osc. spindle sander, making one-purpose jigs

- Chisel work, file work, rasp work, & sanding techniques

- Smart clamping and gluing strategy

- Referencing the plan design in the videos, which helps develop the ability to read plans 

- The aesthetics of grain pattern and layout

- milling and selecting lumber

- carving

- finishing techniques

He points out potential pitfalls, such as" Stop.  Before you go on, make sure you don't accidently make 2 left legs".  On almost every example of that, I was just about to do the dumb thing he prevents!

Not to mention that fact that he'll show you 2 ways to do the same thing.  Don't have a bandsaw?  Let me show you how to do it with a handplane.  "No router, let me show you how to do it with a chisel".

Plus, a video in which they discuss the detail and history of the chair, and the inspiration behind it's design.

PLUS, you can reach out to Marc and ask him a question.  He got me out of 2 jams in the course of my build.

I can't say enough good things about it.  The only reason my chair is still only 95% done is because I was so excited with all the new skills I learned (and tools I acquired), that I started designing and making LOTS of other things.  Warning: you WILL buy more tools

Ok...that's my advertisement.  Especially for the G&G Adirondack chair.  I've bought and watched most of the guild build DVD's, but this one, is in my opinion, his magnum opus guild build for a beginner.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I'll pile on here as well. Join the guild, or just purchase one project for now. Well worth the investment, and you never lose access to the projects you've purchased. One of the most valuable things to me was the ability to either stream, or download the videos that go along with the build. My wife watched them with me over our home network and Smart TVs. I was able to reference them at any time on my tablet while in the shop. It really is like having the assurance of an expert keeping an eye on you, which took most of the guesswork and indecision out of the equation for me.

the guild is awesome. If if the projects are not your taste, the content is still great. And Marc is lightning fast on email replies.

I have been trying to get down to the rosewood school of FWW for a year now. I just can't get my schedule to align with the schools. I love to be "face to face" with an instructor as well.

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement.  BTW not sure where I got Kiki from...same avatar I guess.

I have joined the guild...did so last night. Got a very nice email from Nicole welcoming me...so I am on my way.

Definitely plan to check out the Adirondack chair and see about making that my first bigger build.  Thanks for the direction on that.  However I plan to start with a couple cutting boards (per Marc's video) to give as gifts this Christmas just to get comfortable with the new equipment.

Spent the last couple hours cleaning out my storage room.  I'm trying to make room for all the stuff that I have to move in there from my newly designated shop area.  Quite a puzzle...need a big yard sale but it's wrong time of year...

Oh my Guild handle is QitenakaDave in case you see my over there...

• Like 1