Flat Face inset cabinet doors

cjenviro

I am trying to figure out the Best way to cut a set of doors out of a middle piece of plywood that would keep the grain and even door reveal around the door. The doors are going to be flush with the frame which will be the remainder of the sheet of plywood. What tool or technique would best help me achieve this?

One of the magazines demonstrated this years ago. However, it requires rounded corners, and hinges that overlay the front of the door and frame, rather than attaching to the edges.

Mark out the doors onto the plywood, including hinge locations. Drill a starter hole one the cut line where it will be hidden by a hinge. Insert a jigsaw and cut along the layout line. Install the hinges before cutting the door completely free.

One of the magazines demonstrated this years ago. However, it requires rounded corners, and hinges that overlay the front of the door and frame, rather than attaching to the edges.

Mark out the doors onto the plywood, including hinge locations. Drill a starter hole one the cut line where it will be hidden by a hinge. Insert a jigsaw and cut along the layout line. Install the hinges before cutting the door completely free.

I have made two rips vertically and then 2 crosscuts horizontally which cuts the door section out of the part being used as the face. Then carefully biscuit , domino, or dowel the face sections back together. By doing the rips first that makes the seams vertical and easier to hide. You will have to trim the door to get the reveal sized the way you want. You could edgeband the plywood but take the thickness in to account when you trim the door.

European concealed hinges mount into a 35 mm cup hole drilled in the back of the door and the hinge mounts to a baseplate you screw inside the cabinet. Or you could use knive hinges morticed into the top and bottom of the door where the knuckle sticks out. Piano hinge or butt hinges set into the edge of the plywood are going to be prone to the screws pulling out or the plywood splitting. Or find some decorative hinges that will mount flat on the face.

I'd lay out my doors and VERY CAREFULLY plunge my circular saw down through the plywood exactly on one of your layout lines.  Use this method to cut the majority of the 4 sides of the door and finish the corners with a jig saw.  That's the only way I know to cut something our of the middle of a sheet with as little waste as possible.  You'll only loose the saw kerf.

I have made two rips vertically and then 2 crosscuts horizontally which cuts the door section out of the part being used as the face. Then carefully biscuit , domino, or dowel the face sections back together. By doing the rips first that makes the seams vertical and easier to hide. You will have to trim the door to get the reveal sized the way you want. You could edgeband the plywood but take the thickness in to account when you trim the door.

European concealed hinges mount into a 35 mm cup hole drilled in the back of the door and the hinge mounts to a baseplate you screw inside the cabinet. Or you could use knive hinges morticed into the top and bottom of the door where the knuckle sticks out. Piano hinge or butt hinges set into the edge of the plywood are going to be prone to the screws pulling out or the plywood splitting. Or find some decorative hinges that will mount flat on the face.

This is how I've always seen it in solid wood...  Dan S did it that way on his end tables (that are awesome by the way) and also he links to a video with more detail on the technique.