LA Jack Plane blade honing angles

JoshC1501

This question is for all the Bevel Up Plane experts.

I apologize in advance, as I know this has probably been posted and answered a hundred times here.  I really couldn't find the answer doing a search, to many posts, and to much information to sort through.

I am trying to get the most out of my LN LA Jack plane.  I have a dedicated smoothing plane, so that is not as important.  I have two irons right now, planning to a add a couple more. 

What angle do you hone at for these operations?

1) Rough Stock Removal - with a radius on the iron?

2) Edge Joining?

3) End Grain-shooting board application?

4) Smoothing- straight and difficult grain?

4) Any other special setups you have and their application.  

One final question that I can't seem to find an answer too.  Is the 90 degree blade that is sold for this plane a workable alternative to a cabinet scraper or scraper plane?

Thanks for the help.

Josh 

Hi Josh,

This is what I do:

1) Rough Stock Removal - with a radius on the iron? 25 degrees

2) Edge Joining? 25 degrees

3) End Grain-shooting board application? 25 degrees

4) Smoothing- straight and difficult grain? 38 degrees or 50 as below

I have 3 blades for my bevel ups 25, 38 and 50 for exceptionally difficult grain. That way you are not constantly regrinding.

My scraper plane is the LN#85 cabinet makers scraper plane. It is at a fixed angle of around 120 degrees. The bevel angle was 60 degrees but I couldn't hone it at that angle. I went to a LN event and Deneb said it was an old plane from the late 80s to early 90s and later ones were at 45. So he reground it to 45. It took him quite some time! (I bought it pre-owned from a cabinet maker friend who was selling up)

To be completely honest I very rarely use it and just use a card scraper now. So it doesn't really answer your question about the 90 degree blade other than a scraper plane is a more obtuse angle.

Here is a picture when I bought it so you can see the angle of dangle

post-3084-0-47079400-1414669666_thumb.jp

As you see that bevel is difficult to get from a honing guide. I guess it was originally machine ground.

Hi Josh. I use 2 blades with mine. The first has a primary bevel of 25 degrees and then a microbevel added. So, I'm guessing around 30 degrees? I use this blade for general use, stock removal, jointing, etc. The second blade has around a 35 degree primary bevel and I put a 40 degree microbevel on that one. I use this blade along with a tight mouth setting for difficult grain.

I do not camber my blades, I just ease the corners slightly. For shooting I use whichever blade seems to apply to the wood that I'm working with. I have not tried the scraper blade, but I have the same question as you.

Thanks,

Gary

I tried the 90* blade at a show once and was unimpressed.  And the scraper planes IMO are super finicky and tough to set up.  I use a Veritas cabinet scraper and that thing is awesome.  Any moron can set one up and use it, so it's perfect for me.  Card scraper for the tight spots that the cabinet scraper can't get into...but I'm not a huge fan of card scrapers for large areas because they're murder on the hands.

I think the cabinet scraper is like 80 or 100 bucks...bargain for a great tool.

This question is for all the Bevel Up Plane experts.

I apologize in advance, as I know this has probably been posted and answered a hundred times here.  I really couldn't find the answer doing a search, to many posts, and to much information to sort through.

I am trying to get the most out of my LN LA Jack plane.  I have a dedicated smoothing plane, so that is not as important.  I have two irons right now, planning to a add a couple more. 

What angle do you hone at for these operations?

1) Rough Stock Removal - with a radius on the iron?

2) Edge Joining?

3) End Grain-shooting board application?

4) Smoothing- straight and difficult grain?

4) Any other special setups you have and their application.  

One final question that I can't seem to find an answer too.  Is the 90 degree blade that is sold for this plane a workable alternative to a cabinet scraper or scraper plane?

Thanks for the help.

Josh 

Hi Josh

1. You can, but I do not recommend, a highly cambered blade (say 8") for rough stock removal. One looks like this ...

TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades_html_m4

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades.html

LN do sell a toothed blade that can also be used.

Better use a #5 jack plane for rough removal.

2. Edge jointing is similar to planing interlocked grain - if it chips, then it will show. So make the bevel angle a high one. I'd recommend 40 degrees (well, that's what I use in my LV BU Jointer). Further, this is the ONE time I support using a straight bevel. All other planes blades should have a camber. Clipped edges do not work as well as a camber.

3. End grain - 25 degrees.

4. Smoothing interlocked wood? The LA Jack is not a smoother, although it can do a good job as a panel plane. Anyhow, 50 degree bevel for 62 degree cutting angle if planing interlocked grain (wax the sole if you are concerned about pushing a high angle) and 40 degrees otherwise.

Regards from Perth

Derek