WoodTalk's High Standards

JoshC1501

I always go down and read the Off-Topic and other such stuff first. It didn't take long for the community part of WTO to feel more appealing than the woodworking part...and the woodworking part (which I do also read =p) is amazing so that's saying something.

That's great to hear. To be honest, I am not a fan of forums these days and don't frequent any others. I decided long ago that if I were to ever run my own forum, it wouldn't be a haven for a-holes and junkyard dog personalities. Beginners would be welcome and no one would be criticized for asking a question that's been asked a thousand times before. Thankfully, the result is a group of like-minded people who all want to keep this a friendly and inviting place. It's still a forum with a mix of personalities and experience levels, so we do have the occasional scuffle. But all in all we do pretty well. And the no politics/no religion/no jerks policy seems to work for us. 

• Like 1

Josh, I agree.
This is now the ONLY forum I participate in. When I first started reading stuff here I saw a post (Maybe by Marc? Not sure.) that basically said you'd never get the common "use the search bar" response. I never understood why somebody responds with that? We all know the search bar is there. But if we are asking a question it's because we are still looking for answers. Instead of typing "use the search bar" I'd prefer just to type the answer. ... or if I don't know the answer I just don't respond. ... Well, unless I have something really witty to say.

Josh, I agree.

This is now the ONLY forum I participate in. When I first started reading stuff here I saw a post (Maybe by Marc? Not sure.) that basically said you'd never get the common "use the search bar" response. I never understood why somebody responds with that? We all know the search bar is there. But if we are asking a question it's because we are still looking for answers. Instead of typing "use the search bar" I'd prefer just to type the answer. ... or if I don't know the answer I just don't respond. ... Well, unless I have something really witty to say.

Repetition is good no matter what it is in :)

Maybe some new technique or knowledge has come up since the last post. I guess that is being very optimistic, but it can happen!

To expand on Josh's point, maybe 5 years ago (could be longer, I'm not sure.) I participated in another forum from time to time and for a while every time I'd post a response to somebody's question I'd get this guy that would respond with "Well, what does he know. He uses a SawStop because he's not experienced enough to use a REAL table saw." Seriously for like 3 months this guy would respond to anything I'd post with some comment about how I don't know what I'm talking about because I use a SawStop because I'm not a good enough woodworker that I need a safety feature to protect me from myself. After a while I was like "Dude, I GET IT! You don't like my SawStop!" But he wouldn't stop bashing it or me for using it. Finally, I just stopped going to that forum.

Incidentally, I still use my SawStop ICS and I wouldn't trade it. If somebody stole it, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting what I've been showing my wife all the time. As I've had my share of hobbies my wife has seen me get hurt and frustrated while simply trying to learn from others. As a mechanic I always treated new kids the way I wanted to be treated. I WAS NOT born knowing everything about cars so I never acted like that.
Every hobby I've had questions which were mostly replied with the standard "Use the search bar!" I usually did but often times for me being new at it I didn't know the correct words for the search. Wood corner holding thinging will not produce an answer.... LOL
This forum and Marc have never let me down!!!!
I got rid of my Harley in part because of the negative community. I got off of the reloading forums because of the same.
When I've posted needed encouragement a lot of people responded and I read those to my wife. I share with her the words and experience I learn here.

• Like 1

To expand on Josh's point, maybe 5 years ago (could be longer, I'm not sure.) I participated in another forum from time to time and for a while every time I'd post a response to somebody's question I'd get this guy that would respond with "Well, what does he know. He uses a SawStop because he's not experienced enough to use a REAL table saw." Seriously for like 3 months this guy would respond to anything I'd post with some comment about how I don't know what I'm talking about because I use a SawStop because I'm not a good enough woodworker that I need a safety feature to protect me from myself. After a while I was like "Dude, I GET IT! You don't like my SawStop!" But he wouldn't stop bashing it or me for using it. Finally, I just stopped going to that forum.

Incidentally, I still use my SawStop ICS and I wouldn't trade it. If somebody stole it, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

That's why it takes you so long to get projects completed! You're being held back by an inferior saw and a minimal skill set!  ;)

• Like 1

That's why it takes you so long to get projects completed! You're being held back by an inferior saw and a minimal skill set!  ;)

Yeah, it's funny. I understand if you prefer a certain tool over another. But "Can't we all just get along?"

I feel like going hand in hand with a Delta, a Powermatic, a Craftsman, a Steel City, a Grizzly table saw owner, getting a track saw guy in there as well. Then we could all sing "We are the World".

I'd like to be Springsteen. He always looks like he's in pain when he sings. Like he's passing a stone or something...

By the way, am I off track?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's funny. I understand if you prefer a certain tool over another. But "Can't we all just get along?"

I feel like going hand in hand with a Delta, a Powermatic, a Craftsman, a Steel City, a Grizzly table saw owner, getting a track saw guy in there as well. Then we could all sing "We are the World".

I'd like to be Springsteen. He always looks like he's in pain when he sings. Like he's passing a stone or something...

By the way, am I off track?

People are rude both ways. Either they call someone a fool for spending too much for a tool, or they call someone inferior for spending too little.

I don't care what tool you have, it's not my money you are spending. I'm just happy to have a place to talk about woodworking in general.

Quote of the Year Award, 2014.  That would go in my signature line if I was the kind of guy who used other people's quotes in my signature line.  Someone else should put it there, though...because that's GOLD.

Gotta love Bruce, though.  Darkness might be in my top ten greatest albums of all time.  Killer.

True, this thread.  One big happy family...despite the crazy cousin who refuses to leave.

One of the problems I've had with using the search bar is that I only know one or two parts to the question.  So typing that information in is going to be overwhelming.  (I've done it a couple of times on a variety of places.)  From the beginner's perspective, even just fastening two boards together is an enlightening perspective.  I can remember when brad nails were an unknown vocabulary, when glue was just glue, and when the concept of not needing a screw or a nail was unheard of.

Beginners know that there is more out there, but they don't always know the right question to ask to get to the information they are looking for.  That's what I have always loved about both this forum and the Network.  The crusty old salts smile fondly back at the days of n00b, and take fledglings under their wings.  (I've been doing a lot of creative writing lately, and color seems to be dripping from the pores right now...)

Seriously speaking, there have never really been any "crusty old salts" that have acted like it, which is one of the reasons why I love the "mentor" tags people acquire.  Because these folks are truly acting like mentors, rather than know-it-alls, codgers, old coots, or whatever.  Maybe it's the Kool-aid, maybe it's the chortles, maybe it's something in the sawdust.  Whatever it is, I've appreciated it, grown from it, and wanted to give back to it.  

The "pay it forward" trend has been huge on this site.  And I feel that it attracts like-minded individuals, which only helps spread the warm fuzzies further.