WoodTalk's High Standards

JoshC1501

i agree. I am not sure which posts you are referring to specifically, but just so you know one guy has been posting as mutliple aliases (same guy who was passing off other people's pictures as his own) so some of us have had some light hearted fun with him. There was a thread about wedged tenons that I thought turned a little nasty, but hand tool guys get that way :).

I can understand that because of my mistake that I will get some ribbing but after awhile it will become trolling and that is why I don't do anything with rec.cooking.org. It is nothing but trolls. I used other web images when mine sucked(Out of focus, too dark, or too light etc.). I had been told that if you changed a image it was ok to reuse it. The example that they gave was Andy Warhol and his use of the soup cans. He showed me how to use google to find the image that was close to my original image. It has been explained to me that this was wrong and I won't do it again. So it is my bad photos from now on. 

I enjoy the posts here and usually learn something new each day. I just don't want to scroll past a bunch of trolling post to get to a real answer. 

I ask questions hererather than just using a search bar because you never know what quality of a result you are going to get as a result. I trust the answers here more. 

If you think that I have been using multiple aliases you are wrong.  Aliases are like wifes one is enough to drive you crazy.

The people who were "trolling" you were contacted. They understand the situation and they shouldn't give you trouble. But please understand the situation for what it is. I sent this information to you in a private message but I'll say it here as well. You came into this forum like a bull in a china shop. 300 posts in three weeks is a little on the excessive side for a small forum like ours. That, in and of itself, will make people suspicious. Human nature. The misrepresentation of images was a second issue that put people on edge. The third is the fact that many of your questions could be answered with a simple Google search. People are welcome to ask the basic questions without doing searches but when the questions come rapid-fire style, again, people start to wonder and they being feeling like they are being taken advantage of.

The final issue of the alias could be a simple misunderstanding. If it isn't you, there's another person on the forum who is actively answering comments as if he was the person to asked the original question. It's a little weird but if you say it's not you then I'll take your word for it. 

This is a calm and peaceful place and I want it to stay that way. Let's clear the slate and start over. Take a deep breath and pace yourself. The forum isn't going anywhere. :)

• Like 2

I will accept the offer of clearing the slate. 

Sorry about all the drama everyone. 

I am up all night because of a med so I tend to post a lot. Every time a new post shows up I want to put in my 2 cents worth. I will try and pace myself a little better. Probably save me some money on batteries because I have used up four sets in my shop computer keyboard. 

I do frequent another forum on a regular basis. This is not because I don't like woodtalk but simply because my time available exceeds the content production of this board.

That being said, when I have a question or want to post about a project I am doing woodtalk is the forum I turn to consistently time and time again. The folks here are fantastic both in their spirit and in the wealth of their knowledge.

Marc's cutting board got me into woodworking. I literally never did the slightest bit of woodwork before watching that video, and even then my interest was in cooking! I wanted a cutting board because I just bought a nice chefs knife and wanted a great cutting board to use it on that wouldn't set me back as much as the knife itself.

Marc literally opened a whole new hobby to me by being open, informative, and fun. And then he hosts this community which follows in the same spirit. Congratulations to everyone for being awesome :-)

Over the last week or so, while researching a few things, I stumbled upon eye opening conversations on a few of these other forums.  The genuine lack of respect and vile nature of certain posts was eye opening.   Not only is there disrespectful comments between forum members for asking certain questions, the level of bad mouthing about certain individuals in the woodworking community was simply awful.  What ever happened to " if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I accept full responsibility for this.  Let's play nice and move on.  ;)

miw

I occassionlly read posts on other forums when doing research, but I only post here. I really like this forum, and it's a nice place to visit and ask questions. People here are friendly, and the collective knowledge is excellent. The mentors here really "earn their stripes"!

I posted a question on the festool site one time, and even though there were some excellent responses, there were some aggressive and HEAVILY opininated ones too. I'm not really interested in spending my time dealing with such posters, so I mostly stay away forums other than this one.

What I am really hooked on is woodtalkradio. I download every week right away and listen on the way to work!

I have used my questions as search criteria before and found other forums via google that way, but really I haven't been able to get good answers that way.  like many here this is the only forum I've registered for and post on, mostly because it truly feels like there's no bad question.  It's pretty comforting to know that I can ask you guys something and won't feel stupid for asking. 

Frequently, hornets nests need stirring, in order to sort out nesting problems.    Let's assume that the nest is again under control!

What is interesting, while I had noticed a few strange posts, I guess I wasn't spending enough time here to really pick up on it.    My post was totally unprompted by the situation that was just hashed out here.  It is funny how things work out that way sometimes.

All is right with the WoodTalk World again!!

While this is Marc's Forum, it is all the members that make it a great place.  It is also our responsibility to keep it that way.

Keep it Classy WoodTalk!!

• Like 1

This is a good community, I tried Lumberjocks but didn't care for the format or how some people got shouted down.  I used to post a lot to Woodworkingtalk but they got bought out and ads starting appearing everywhere, then a tiff caused some of the admins and mods to get banned so the former admin made Woodworkingchat and we invited all of the guys we could over, so that's a good crowd too. 

I have pecked around Sawmill Creek but I don't see a need to use my real name more than necessary online... knowledgeable guys there but they seem to be curmudgeonly at times.  The other forums that turn up when googling woodworking questions seem to be mostly dried up remnants of former communities. 

What is interesting, while I had noticed a few strange posts, I guess I wasn't spending enough time here to really pick up on it.    My post was totally unprompted by the situation that was just hashed out here.  It is funny how things work out that way sometimes.

All is right with the WoodTalk World again!!

While this is Marc's Forum, it is all the members that make it a great place.  It is also our responsibility to keep it that way.

Keep it Classy WoodTalk!!

Yes, I think that many of us misread your initial post... you said that you "stumbled upon eye opening conversations on a few of these other forums." I think that we mostly missed the important word in that sentence... so your thread took an unintended turn there for a while. :rolleyes: Not unexpected, but NOT your fault.    :D

At any rate, your point is right on target. This is a great place to call home. :)

Once upon a time, "The 'wreck" was far more civilized than any web forum...

Yeah but by the second day it wasn't. :)

My experience with it only goes back to the mid 90's by which point it was like the wild west on a Saturday morning, full of hungover trigger happy banditos. I poked my head in there recently and it had settled down a bit.

Everything in USENET went down the tubes after 1989, when AOL started encouraging zillions of people to use USENET.  The newbies vastly out-numbered the old timers, and there was no way to maintain community customs and courtesies.  "Hey, I paid my $29  - I have just as much right to be here as you do - You can't tell me what to do."

Before that, if someone disrupted a newsgroup, you complained to their sysadmin, and their sysadmin handled it.  But AOL was the sysadmin for thousands of people, and wanted to encourage them to use the system.

That was also the birth of spam, for the same reason.

Tragedy of the commons.

• Like 1