Quarter sawn species

rodger.

Yep.  It's wasteful to quartersaw lumber, so it isn't done that often unless there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...QSWO is gold with all the fleck that it reveals.  I wish more species were commonly offered as quartersawn because I'm more of a straight-grain kinda guy.  The wild cathedral stuff doesn't do it for me, with exceptions.  Actually my ideal cut is riftsawn...quartersawn can be a little boring with the tight, straight lines.  I find riftsawn to often be the most appealing visually.  That's personal taste.

• Like 1

What a coincidence. I was just listening to an older episode of Wood Talk today, episode #130. This same question was asked and Shannon answered it. If you would like to listen to it, the question comes up at about the 37 minute mark.

Summary of Shannon's answer:

wasteful use of the lumber

lack of market for quarter sawn wood in most species  

(slightly) harder to cut/saw correctly

requires different setups for the sawyers

even the quarter sawn wood as a result of the flat/rift sawing process is picked over before it gets to the retail shelf

Sycamore is also generally sold quartersawn, from what I've read it isn't stable enough to survive sitting on a shelf for sale flatsawn but is just great quartersawn. 

The sawmill I go to will generally also have quartersawn red oak, and while I've never asked, they state on their webpage that they specialize in quartersawing, so I imagine they'd get you whatever you need if you're buying enough to make it worth their while.