Anyone get Amazon Prime Sunday delivery?

estesbubba

So I just noticed today that many items I was browsing showed Sun delivery for free with Prime. Just to try it out I ordered some cheap shop .7mm mechanical pencils and we'll see if they show up on Sun. One thing I noticed is the past month 2/3 of my orders have been delivered USPS which might have been a sign of changes. Cool thing is our mail is usually delivered by 10am. 

A little background, my father just retired postal service and now works for Amazon. Prime is shipped using UPS. But because it is considered express service UPS hands the package off to USPS on weekends. The only mail that gets delivered on weekends is express delivery from USPS, that is why the package is handed off to them.

A little background, my father just retired postal service and now works for Amazon. Prime is shipped using UPS. But because it is considered express service UPS hands the package off to USPS on weekends. The only mail that gets delivered on weekends is express delivery from USPS, that is why the package is handed off to them.

I think this may depend on state or region, as this is not true in Connecticut... 

I've gotten Amazon Prime packages from UPS and FedEx ground on Saturdays, as well as a company called Lasership on Saturday and Sunday.  USPS also drops Prime packages on weekends, but they aren't the only game in town.  During the week, I've also gotten UPS as late as 8:30 PM, even outside of the Christmas rush.  

According to my UPS guy, who I've known for nearly 10 years, UPS now runs two delivery shifts a day in my area.

I haven't had the pleasure yet but I'm looking forward to it.  I believe it will be limited to small packages that can fit in a mailbox, at least at first.  I could be wrong about that.

I've gotten boxes as large as 18x18x24 on Sundays, one with a 30lb small bass guitar amp inside.  This might be regional, and related to Amazon's relationship with smaller shippers, like Lasership.

I've received a few larger packages from USPS, too, but I think they try to limit the number of big boxes they give to them...those little Jeeps can only carry so much cargo.

I've actually never seen the Sunday delivery option when I've ordered...maybe it's my area, or maybe I just never ordered at exactly the right time to prompt the need for that option.  I love how Amazon continues to push toward instant gratification online shopping, but honestly, I can handle not getting packages on Sundays.  Can't say I've ever been in a position where I just HAD to have this thing tomorrow...it's always impatience rather than necessity that drives my desire for faster delivery.

I love how Amazon continues to push toward instant gratification online shopping, but honestly, I can handle not getting packages on Sundays.  Can't say I've ever been in a position where I just HAD to have this thing tomorrow...it's always impatience rather than necessity that drives my desire for faster delivery.

I've never paid extra for it, but since it's offered...

• Like 1

This happened to me a weeks ago - I didn't specifically ask for it.  I was talking to the postal woman who delivered the package and asked if she got time and a half, or similar for the Sunday hours.  She said no, and didn't seem to be happy about it.  I imagine that Sundays off was a nice perk of that gig.  Then again, nobody is forcing her to work there either.

I'd bet Amazon got a pretty good deal on that negotiation with USPS, given the post office's financial straits.

I'm also mostly uninformed on the issue, so there's that too :)

Like any business model, the consumer ultimately drives their success.  The more Amazon makes my like easier, the more I'll continue to use it.

Now if only Amazon could cut out the DMV...

• 2 weeks later...