Edmonton, Canada reasonably priced hardwood location

RaymondJR

Hi all,

Coming from the West Coast and new into Edmonton and looking for some hardwood that is reasonably priced. Just went to PJ White here and (other than the fact there is no price list and you get to guess how bad the damage is once you get to counter) the prices were crazy compared to what I am used to. I paid $7.17 /BF for 15/16 S&B Hard Maple and (ouch) $14.95/BF for Black Walnut 8/4 f1f.  

There has to be a better location than this to get wood in Edmonton? It might be cheaper for me to drive back home and pick some up and drive it back in my truck ;-) Wood I typically pick up are Hard Maple, Western (soft) maple, walnut, ash, white Oak (and quarter sawn occasionally), Alder.

Any help you can provide appreciated.  

p.s. yes I have searched the net for locations but prices are usually not listed. So far the major place is PJ in the area I can see.

I do feel your pain; being from Calgary I'm in a similar situation.  Although I did get about 300 BF of 4/4 hard maple for $1.90 a couple of years ago from PJ White. It was natural with lots of color variation but it was for a workbench so that was fine.  Black Forest has really good selection, but much more expensive.  Don't really have an answer for you.