Tried using the Festool 2200 Router

chefmagnus@grics.net

I made a new jig for making the mortises on the remaining side piece of the band saw base. It was a major chore to control this router. It made the best looking mortises so far. I used the 3/4" spiral up bit with a 1" guide bushing. Was quieter and cleaner. But felt like it was going to take off and jump out of the jig. I took 1/2" cuts to get to 1-1/2" depth. I did three mortises and was left sweating. I am going to finish the last two then sit this router aside for a while.

Agreed...1/2" deep with a 1/2" spiral bit is about as deep as I'll go in one pass IF I'm working with something like cherry or walnut.  Anything harder and I'm taking light passes.  The general rule is to never take a deeper pass than the diameter of your bit...but I try not to push that most of the time.  More and lighter passes gives you cleaner mortises, is easier on your router, it's safer, and your bit lasts longer.  No need to rush things.

Chef, when you say you were using a 3/4" bit, it makes me think your were using a standard double flute straight bit, because I'm not sure I've ever seen a spiral (straight) bit that big.  While the standard double flute can plunge mortises, I wouldn't recommend it.  Get a quality spiral bit, and stick with 1/2".  Make two passes if you need a wider mortise.

It is a 3/4" diameter bit with a 1-1/4" cutter length with a 1/2" end. It has no paint on it. It has two flutes that spiral up. Says HSS up-spiral end mill on the 1/2" end part, 

Was the only bit that could get the width cleared out in two passes. I followed clockwise around the edge of my template box to get the final mortise width. The router seems to want to pull me clockwise. Even with turning the speed down on the router, it was wanting to barely stay under control.