A very small box

minorhero

I recently had need of a very small box. Specifically one just big enough to hold a ring.

I started with a left over leg blank from a dining room table I made for my girlfriend. The table had a live edge to it along one corner which made it bad for the leg but really good for this box. I cut two pieces that had live edge using the chop saw.

T587QET.jpg

r4dgF4L.jpg

I then used a hollow chisel mortiser and 3/4" bit to make a mortise in the 'bottom' and 'top' of the box. The hole is about 1" wide by 3/4". Since the parts had not exploded yet under the stress ;) I continued. I took the pieces to the jig saw and cut off the extra wood. 

After that I poured 5 minute epoxy dyed black into the bottom and top, used a heat gun to make it more "liquidy" and then a brush to cover all the sides. This has the advantage of leaving a nice flatish bottom and top and covering up the mess made by the mortising machine. 

I then attached some tiny 5mm barrel hinges and sanded everything smooth. A couple of tiny magnets act as a clasp. 

Sorry I forgot pictures for most of this. But here is the finished product with some felt cushions inside. I made another box as well as a backup but it lacked the live edge.

0o7xRym.jpg

AFJS4wQ.jpg

I haven't posted this sooner because of the danger that the girlfriend might see this post since she knows I post here.

Bottom line... she said yes!

• Like 1