Hand plane blade problems

bradpotts

Hey everyone I was hoping you could help me on a problem that I am having with a plane blade. I bought a Stanley Bailey #5 at an antique store. I restored it and put all of the metal in Locktite rust dissolver even the blade. Sharpened the blade 25 degree angle and started testing it on the side of some oak. After about two strokes, the edge curled under. Sharpened it again and the same thing happened. My thoughts are that the rust dissolver softened the metal to useless. I have restored a couple planes that work great but never with the Locktite. let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi bradpotts,

Very unlikely the metal has softened due to the rust remover. Two things are most likely. Firstly the 25 degree angle is a little shallow. 25 is used for grinding. The honing angle should be 30 deg. If it's simpler go for 30 degrees of the bat. Second is the last owner might have drawn out the temper by grinding it and getting it too hot. If this has happened you just have to work through it. Hope that sorts the problem!