Under pressure!

Roger T

Talk about being put under pressure today.  A friend of my wifes sent her a message this morning saying that she would like to see if I could make a dough bowl for her.  I just dont have the proper tooling or half logs right now to be able to do this.  But,  I did convince her that I could turn her a bowl that would serve the same purpose.  She wanted rustic, well, when I turn, I am to much of a perfectionist to do rustic.  I convinced the gal to come over to the shop and rummage around to see if maybe she could find something that would work for her needs.  After about 20 minutes of digging thru piles of bowl blanks she brings out a large 15" soft maple blank that I had for a few years.

Turning soft maple bowls is kind of a crap shoot for me.  Sometimes they turn out real well, and sometimes, well, they end up as firewood.  I told her to have a seat and chat with the wife down in the shop while I set off to turn this piece.  For a change, and being under the pressure of really, really not wanting to screw this up and embarrass the heck outta myself, the piece came out fantastic.  She let me sand it out to 220, and I was able to make a really nice surface on it, and no tool marks or sanding scratches.

She left my shop happy and with a 15" bowl in hand.  And I was able to breathe a big sigh of relief at being able to get it done for her.  No finish on the bowl as she didnt want any. 

post-2682-0-68453700-1414977840_thumb.jp

post-2682-0-42934900-1414977841_thumb.jp

post-2682-0-28894600-1414977842_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking!

Roger

• Like 1