Harbor Freight Roller Stand

JoshC1501

If I wanted to trade up, I'd get ones that have the balls instead of a roller, so alignment was not an issue.  But really, this is not where I want to spend my money.  These work fine.

If I wanted to make my own, I'd put some sort of adjustable height feature onto saw horses.  That way, they could be used as saw horses as well, and by putting a piece of plywood over two of them I'd have an in/out feed table, which is much better than one or two roller stands.

But I've got these, and they get the job done.

[ edit - mine fold up, so I removed that from this post.  I don't know why I thought they didn't. ]

I'm tempted to buy a few of those junkers, but I'm flat outa space around here.  Can hardly squeeze a fart into this shop anymore.  Great deal though...I've needed one a million times but still haven't bought any.  The big turnoff to me is the straight roller as opposed to the ball bearings, like Chip said.  Those are way more versatile.  But that's a hard price to resist...they actually go down to $12 each when you put them in your cart.

I have 2 similar stands from home depot... I don't remember what they cost but I think at least double that price if not more.   The home depot stands are total pieces of crap.  The roller keeps falling off, the plastic handle you use to adjust the height is stripped, the little end caps on the feet keep falling off....  My point is I wish I bought the $17 HF version because at that price I wouldn't care.   For what I paid, the Home Depot ones are total POS. 

I also have the HD one and have all the same issues. I think I will be making a trip to HF this weekend.

Need a couple of these, so I was curious.  For what they do, hate to spend much more than this.  

With the coupon this is a good deal.  I also wish these had the roller balls, but for the price, hard to beat.  

If I wanted to trade up, I'd get ones that have the balls instead of roller, so alignment was not an issue.  But really, this is not where I want to spend my money.  These work fine.

If I wanted to make my own, I'd put some sort of adjustable height feature onto saw horses.  That way, they could be used as saw horses as well, and by putting a piece of plywood over two of them I'd have an in/out feed table, which is much better than one or two roller stands.

But I've got these, and they get the job done.

The ones in the article by Michael Fortune in the latest issue of FW are really nice.  When I get some extra time, think I will make one of those.

I tried these and like others said, you have to get the roller parallel to the table. I bought two of these and they work great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

My favorite outfeed support, and I have examples of all kinds, is actually the Rigid "flip top"...

Do these work that well with sliding material across them?   From the look of them and a spattering of online reviews, they tip pretty easily if you tried to use them for something like table saw outfeed.  It seems you two would disagree with that assessment?

Do these work that well with sliding material across them?   From the look of them and a spattering of online reviews, they tip pretty easily if you tried to use them for something like table saw outfeed.  It seems you two would disagree with that assessment?

They work great for me.  I most often use them with the band saw or router table, as I have a 4' x 6' dedicated table saw outfeed.   The stands incorporate a hook for hanging weight on them, and the legs would easily accomodate tube sand, if required.   The flip motion is excellent when the stock starts to sag, as it may after it's cut.  I've had issues in the past where I set up a roller platform allowing for sag, then the stock sags a lot more after it's cut, hitting the side of the roller below the point where the roller will push it up.  The Ridgid stands also work very well when you don't want as much movement, for example, with a miter saw, as a finishing stand, or as a workbench deadman, with the platform locked flat.

I like the flip tops best because they won't change the direction of the work as it passes over them, and they can handle any width of stock.   Tube rollers can push the work left or right, if not aligned perfectly.  I like ball rollers better than tubes, but they don't do well with narrow or stock on edge, unless you have many, many balls...

Unlike a roller stand, if there's a little sag to the piece coming off the ts, the flip top will usually let it slide over the top as it touches it. I use two of them when ripping sheet goods. I have had a couple of instances where I should have weighted them as Barry mentioned, just too lazy to do so.

I like mine so much that I would only trade them for a cute 20 year old assistant, but then my woodworking hobby would come to a screeching halt as the judge would probably grant my funds to my wife in divorce court :wacko:

• Like 1

Awesome.  Thanks for the info guys.   I've been looking for something small and mobile...especially until I can get some proper shop pieces built.  I had been looking at Rockler's flip top roller+bearings stand since I never like just the roller for the obvious reasons.  Those are on sale again but even at the sale price I can get two of those Ridgid flip tables and they seem better anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 and use them extensively for ripping sheet goods.  They fold in one direction very easily so make sure when you use them, that the direction of the feed is against the folding mechanism or it will tilt up and fold as the material is passed on it if the material isn't quite above the roller.