First Project and First Post

keith.d.mullins

My wife and I recently remodeled a house and decided to build a fireplace instead of purchasing one in order to give the new place a personal touch. I really didn't know what I was doing so I did what any able bodied man would do, I used Google. That let me to the woodwhisperer site where I immediately became addicted to the hobby of woodworking. I was able to learn many techniques, especially flattening the huge mantle piece with a router sled. I could have never made this without all of the information on Marc's website andthis forum. Thanks to everyone.

The wood is red oak from a box store. Unfortunately, I purchased it before I was introduced to choosing boards by the woodgrain, so some of it doesn't look great. The main mantle is just over six foot long, 3.5" thick, and around 24" wide. It weighs a ton. The finish is minwax English chestnut with minwax wipe on poly, gloss. Considering adding a coat of satin, but the wife loves it as is.

post-16373-0-03178200-1415152046_thumb.j

Looks good. I'd probably avoid staining over the poly, however. If you decide to go that route you probably will want to test out the color you end up with on a sample piece first.

I think he means adding more poly but in satin to change the sheen. You can tell he's been paying attention...building up the protection in full gloss and then just one final coat of lower sheen.

Alternatively, you can rub down to a satin if the poly is sufficiently built up and fully cured.

I think he means adding more poly but in satin to change the sheen. You can tell he's been paying attention...building up the protection in full gloss and then just one final coat of lower sheen.

Alternatively, you can rub down to a satin if the poly is sufficiently built up and fully cured.

Correct, I mean a coat of wipe on satin.