The project that broke the camels back

Freddie

This was "the one" that made me convince myself to never do jobs for customers/friends ever again. I shorted myself right from the beginning and gave the family discount, and it bit me in the rear end big time. This project took way too long, the only fast thing was the domino joinery. Everything else was time-consuming and annoying. Cheap materials=no happy. Anyways, here they sit, finished. They will be delivered and installed saturday morning. The house has tile base moulding, so I will have to scribe the covers to the wall and remove material to make them fit. French cleats will secure them in place. These things are pretty big, two of them being approx. 63" wide, and all 36" tall. Life has been pretty busy and I can count on one hand how many times I have been in my shop in the last few months. 

post-3732-0-00829700-1415240400_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-56791700-1415240404_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Freddie, Question. Since we don't have radiators down here, do these stay in place year round or are they just used the seasons when the radiators are not used, to hide them from view? I suspect, since they have slats, that they can be in place in the winter time?

Freddie, Question. Since we don't have radiators down here, do these stay in place year round or are they just used the seasons when the radiators are not used, to hide them from view? I suspect, since they have slats, that they can be in place in the winter time?

Yes, it also acts as a bit of a barrier so people/pets/etc don't touch or brush against the potentially-hot radiator.

Freddie, 

I am having hydronic radiators installed in the shop next week, I will need 9 covers for the units. They are 22" from the floor and 48" wide. You can have them done by Thanksgiving. 

No kidding those look great and I may steal the design for covers for mine. Any tips that you discovered while making them that would make things go easier for me...

The face frames are poplar on two of them, pine on the other two. The sides and top are birch ply, and the slats are mdf. I let the face frames have a 1/4" reveal instead of flushing them with the sides. This prevents any uglies when there is movement. The top is glued and held fast to the top rail, everything else around the top is just pinned to allow the frame to move. Then a standard nose and cove moulding caps the top off.

The build is straight forward, just allow air space inside. I allowed 2" on each side and front, and almost 4" up top.

Freddie,

I've been there and appreciate your pain. Seems like when ever somebody wants to skimp on materials to save a few bucks it comes back to bite the poor guy building the project.

This problem can be compounded if the builder really takes pride in his work. (which you obviously do.) You end up putting gallons of perfume on a pig.

• Like 1

Speaking of woman, you haven't mentioned her lately. Glad to hear you 're still cheek to cheek

You HAVE been too damn busy!

I can relate

Yes man, very very busy! I'm working my full time job plus enough overtime to constitute working 2 full time jobs a week, while processing for a new job. I'm exhausted physically and mentally. My shop is back to a complete hell hole, I can't find anything in there!