Random Orbit Sander Too Many Choices!

Tom Cancelleri

I can't imagine spending that much on sanders.  Thrift shoppers arise!

Got my Dewalt 5" ROS for 3.99 and my Dewalt 433 3x21 belt sander for $19.

Oh, I did blow $70 @ harbor freight on a disc sander.  Used it one time.  Use the others a lot more.

The RO 90 is pretty sweet, but you've got to have the applicaiton(s) to justify it -- I use it for boat maintance -- teak railings, hand-holds, etc are the perfest size for the RO90. I also put the polishing pad on and go after deck railings, stanchions, the wheel, any/all brass, etc -- it's a great general-purpose marine sander... Good for small-scale DIY -- wooden shutters (I've got about 30 pair), outdoor refinishing, etc...

I don't think you can go wrong with the 150/3 -- is a great finish sander.

The PC Low-profile is a no-brainer if you can get one...

One other consideration -- If you're going to mix PC and FT, I'd go Abranet abrasives... It used to drive me crazy keeping an inventory of 220 in three (or more) hole patterns...

I could use more info on the Abranet. Feel free to PM me to avoid further taking the thread over.

I think I'm picking up an ETS 150/3 today.

==>The Drum sander however isn't a finish sander

Agreed, but to Don's point, a drum sander is a good investment to reduce course and mid-level sanding.

==>my Dewalt ROS isn't sufficient as a finish sander.

Agreed on that... If you want to keep it as your mid-grit sander, then that simplifies things...

==>I'm mainly looking for a finish sander, and the more versatile the better.

If you keep the DeWalt for mid-grit sanding (100 - 120) and looking for a smooth finisher for 150/180 - 4000, then I'd look at the FT 150/3. If you rub-out by hand, then the 5mm CEROS could give you a bit more flexability in the 120-1000 grit range. Now, if you can get your hands on a 2.5mm CEROS, then you've got the best electric RoS finish sander made... But they are not yet released into the North American market -- however, you can import them directly from the EU.

I had a friend bring me a cutting board that she left in the sink overnight. Luckily not one of mine but a Boos. She wanted to know if I could fix the crack in it. I opened it up and vacuumed some TB3 into the gap. I put it into the clamps and forgot about until she called today.

I was a zombie after dialysis. I could not find any of my sanders. I am hoping that I don't offend any hoarders out there but my shop looks like a hoard's back bedroom. I have to open the garage door to get into it.

Back to sanders. I found the 6" Festool and put a piece of 100g on it. VRRRRRRRRRRRR wow that was quick. Flipped over and 6-7 passes and the maple is smooth as a cabinet door. I go through 120g, 150g, 180g, and 220g. It looks like new and is flat. I was amazed that it came out this flat. I might have to rethink the need for drum or belt sander for doing cutting boards.

I don't know what model Festool it is but it has a 6" face with holes in it. Made a butload of dust because I did not hook it up...

==>your hands vibrating for half a day after using some brands

That's a good point....

And the primary diference between a PC LowProfile and FT's ETS sanders...

However, it's been successfully argued that if you frequently find yourself sanding for half a day, then it's time to invest in a drum sander... But that's another discussion...

I think if your spending enough time sanding to vibrate you hands sore you should take another look at your milling and joinery operations. I learned years ago that milling makes a big difference. Stickly studied their operations decades ago and found that just by adding a little dimple t&g to panels that is nearly invisible they could gain panel thickness and nearly eliminate hand work.

Took the plunge and ordered the ETS 150/3. Went to Woodcraft over the weekend and tried it out. Needless to say, I was very impressed by the results of even the finish from the 120 grit that the associate put on the sander. CT48 will be here tomorrow. Already spent my tool budget for Q1 of next year. Bought a full size easy rougher and full size easy finisher for my lathe, ETS 150/3 and a CT48 in the last week. =( and there's less than 7 weeks until the Wood Working show in Baltimore.