Boiled Linseed Oil

wouldwurker

I love Derek and the Festool Dominos...but let's face it...they made one studio album and one live album...not exactly prolific.  Of course it does contain possibly the greatest rock song ever made in Layla, and Bellforest Blues is one of my all-time favs.

• Like 1

I'm a guitar player, played in bands up and down the Jersey Shore, music minor in school, etc....I never got what was so special about Clapton.

His solo work is mediocre at best. I shot the Sherif...Cocaine...lay down Sally...these are not good songs

Cream was amazing, but Jack Bruce and GB was the reason

Blind Faith - all lil' Stevie Winwood.

You're 100% right about Layla. The best part wasn't even played by Clapton.

His blues songs...out of the cradle ...good, but not anything that I haven't heard before. Also, all covers.

Tears in Heaven was a pretty song...I'll give it that. But again, not an example of 'Guitar Virtuoso'.

It's not a 'speed thing' either. David Gilmore of PF..amazing...not a speed player, but wrote and played solos that are note for note memorable.

Of course, I'm also a guy who loves Hocus Pocus, by Focus...so I'm not sure what that says about my tastes :)

• Like 1

I agree about Duane Allman...one of the best ever.  And true about All Things Must Pass...if memory serves, those sessions are actually what spurned Derek.  But don't sell Clapton's solo work short.  Every album from his first solo through Money and Cigarettes is packed with killerness...after that it gets a little sketchy, and everything made after 1990 can be completely ignored, IMO, with the exception of the Unplugged release.  461 Ocean Boulevard is one of the best albums ever.  Definitely in my top 100 list.