Considering a new table saw

drzaius

I want  a new table saw.  I now have a 20 yr old Jet contractor saw that is & has been an excellent tool, but is deficient in a couple of areas.  Dust collection is spotty, even with a cover on the back end that just has the necessary openings for the belt, motor bracket etc.  It also has no riving knife, something that I think would be a really good thing to have. It has a 52" Beismeyer fence, which is a great fence, but it's longer than I want & I can't bring myself to cutting it down.

I've looked at a lot of saws; General, Laguna, Steel City, Saw Stop & a few others.  It seems like a lot of otherwise good, moderately priced cabinet saws have fences that are not so great, with more flex than I like.  Haven't actually seen a Powermatic in the flesh, but I've read some good things about the PM1000.  It has the specs I'm looking for at a price that fits.  To those that have seen or used one, how is the fence?  And are there any other things I should know about it, good or bad?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

I was looking at the PM1000 and ended up buying the Grizzly G0715P and have been super happy with it. 

However, I'm limited to 110 power and that doesn't seem to be an issue for you.  If money isn't a huge issue, then it's hard to go wrong with the PM2000 or the Sawstop.  

From what I've seen from the Sawstop, go with that one. As soon as we can we are going to switch out a larger 3 phase cabinet saw to a Sawstop model. I have used Powermatic model 64, 66 and 72, never any of the new pm1000 or 2000 though. The safety features on the Sawstop make it really hard to compare it to ones that have the same of everything else. Go with the biggest motor you can run, you won't regret it when you are hogging out a 3/4 x 3/4 dado. Dustin

Sawstop? What did they do 10 years ago? Practiced safe woodworking and kept their fingers away from the blade.

Am I being old fashioned, or is it that great?

Just wonder how many nubbins it has prevented?

I know of a pro cabinet guy who just last month cuts off three fingers on one hand. They reattached them but pretty useless from what I've heard. What is it worth to insure that is very unlikely to happen to you? Keeping apples to apples, I will take the  Sawstop every time. I don't work for them so don't think I am a salesmen for them. Dustin

I was really hoping this thread didn't go down this rabbit hole..  It's been covered here a bunch.  There are fans of the technology as well as old school folks..  Live and let live.

To answer the OP's question, the main difference between the 2 saws is the safety technology and a couple hundred bucks.  They are both very nice saws.