Considering a new table saw

drzaius

Dropped the bucks on a Grizzly G1023RLX today - should be here Friday. Contemplated the G0691 too - that's was a tough climb - but I think that the newer technology of the serpentine belt drive in the 1023 series, and dust collection is where I wanted to go. There are few trade-offs here and there between the two, but both seem excellent and are probably great. That white paint job sure is purdy though.

Given my recent missive I'm hoping this turns out well.

Congrats Shane!  I'm sure you'll be making a lot of saw dust with it!

Shane: Good to hear.  From the considerable research I've done on this, I think you've made a great choice.  I'm jealous, in that I wish I was ready to order for myself, but I really take my time with these things & I think it'll take me another couple of weeks to decide.

Along with the new table saw, I've got to get a dust collection solution figured out.  Talk about going down a rabbit hole!

I enjoyed reading this thread immensely. You've got me wanting a 3HP Grizzly, although I was looking at their Hybrid Saw at 2HP.

I'm a hybrid owner. For me, it works. It is far superior than what I have used before, and worth what I spent on it.

From what I've thrown at it, I can see it lasting many more years down the road. If I could pick any saw off the shelf, would be a 3HP SawStop. Maybe future budget will allow that :)

This is turning into a very difficult decision.  At this point, it's come down to the General & the SawStop. Both are very nice machines, but the SawStop is better than the General in almost every way .  It's also almost exactly twice the price.  

I'm just going to have to nut up & decide.

This is turning into a very difficult decision.  At this point, it's come down to the General & the SawStop. Both are very nice machines, but the SawStop is better than the General in almost every way .  It's also almost exactly twice the price.  

I'm just going to have to nut up & decide.

At least you do so knowing you did your homework!

Now this may not be relevant but I ended up with a 3HP Sawstop.  Why because when my wife discovered I was planning to buy a tablesaw she did a little independent research and discovered the safety feature.  At that point I really didn't have a choice as she insisted I get the Sawstop... Now the 3HP, 52" table, dust collection, mobile base, dado inserts etc were my choice :) 

Just a friendly reminder about the Saw Stop, and I know some people that have had this happen to. It's a fantastic saw and its safety feature is great. Keep in mind you can trip the safety mechanism if you're cutting green wood, treated wood, or if you happen to not be paying attention and your aluminum miter gauge hits it. The safety feature can be disabled via a key. Also, safety features are an addition to standard shop safety, always use proper technique, and if you are questioning something you're doing, don't do it until you figure it out. Oh, and GRR-Rippers are awesome

As I understand it you can't use a dado stack with the standard SS setup. Which was a major factor for me. I use my stack a lot and that just seemed like a big hassle...

Once you've done it a couple of times, swapping the brake adds less than a minute to how long it takes to switch from regular blade to dado stack. I think they were extremely cognizant of that being a sticky point for people and really did try not to make it a hassle.

One other negative thing, for me at least, about the SS is that it would be very difficult to make a DIY insert.  It has a bale latch handle & there is some pretty fancy machining on the underside.  I'm really big on the zero clearance thing & like to have lots of inserts to suit the various blades I use.  So I'd have to buy a bunch from SS at $47 each.

They let me change out a blade and cartridge at the local Woodcraft to get a sense of it.  I found it pretty easy to do...maybe added 2-3m to the blade switch out for me....and I am sure I will get better with practice.

Yeah I just finished a project where I had to swap out the dado a couple different times.  Honestly it takes less than thirty seconds for me at this point (on top of changing the blade, obviously).