Shop floor questions

elrodk

Hi,

I'm building a new standalone shop and it turns out because of the grade I will have a raised floor with at least a partial basement. Poor me. Prime storage space. The shop including my wife's stained glass area will be 30x34 with vaulted ceiling. My first concern is the weight of equipment and the second question is about finished flooring.

My current tools are not extremely heavy. I have a 13" planer, 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, 16/32 drum sander, a Craftsman table saw with a cast iron router wing built in. I also have a miter saw, floor model drill press, some table top sanders, and stuff that will sit near a wall. Any of these along with the operator and material are no heavier than 3-4 people sitting at a dining table. A standard flooring structure should do. In the future I might want an 18" bandsaw or add a nice cabinet saw. Maybe even an 8" jointer. 

post-1270-0-95262200-1415312857_thumb.jp

I plan to cluster some of the equipment to help with dust collection and feed areas so this would be my main area of concern.  If I start adding or upgrading to equipment in the 500-1000 pound range will 2x12 floor joists on 16" centers support the weight? Does anybody have any advice. My builder said he could double some of the joists if it would make me feel better. 

My other question is about flooring. Yeah it's a shop but I want something that looks better than plywood and is easy to sweep up. My first thought was to use yellow pine or oak flooring. Then we started shopping and I really like some of the click together laminates. That stuff is tough as nails and not much sticks to it. Has anybody used laminate in a shop? It's pretty slick. Not like fall down slick but I wonder if the workbench or tools would stay put. Any pros, cons, or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can't help ya on the structural question.

I just built my wife a craft building and she insisted on a laminate floor to help w/ the cleanup. That stuff is so slick, she had to purchase 4 throw rugs in order to keep from busting her butt.

I wouldn't have it in my shop unless you like riding a skate board!

Oh, I see this is your first post. Welcome!

Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

You should have an architect review your needs and make a recommendation. With that said my first thought is either go with engineered floor joists that should be stronger than typical 2 x12's or stick with the 2x12's and go 12 inches on center.  You are lucky being that most of us would love to have anything other than concrete for a floor! Welcome and good luck!

Welcome to the forums..

Standard construction calls for 2x6s at 16 inches on center.  Considering your weight load, I would consider beefing this up a bit to about 12 inches on center with 3/4 ply sub floor.  From there, you could lay any flooring that fits your fancy.

I would take the time to consider in floor electrical and dust collection before you close it in.

• Like 1

I'm building out my basement shop and put down g-floor vinyl garage flooring. It comes in a big 9 foot roll and you can cut sections and only have to tape the joints. Super easy to install, and so far, durable and good traction. Best part is you can roll it up if you ever need to.

I would agree on the laminate.  I installed some of this for a family member.  It looks ok and it is tough, but the scratches look awful.  It is disposable flooring.  When I am able to have the dedicated shop I want, it will have real wood floors.

I will probably go for the unfinished solid oak utility flooring, unless I can find a deal on something else.    

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure you are right about the dust making the laminate very slick. I'll scratch that idea and you guys probably saved me from a big mistake. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of the vinyl or plastic composite garage flooring systems on a slab but I think I'll go with wood on my raised floor.

Regarding the floor joists I'm sure 2x6 is not in my future. I'll calculate some possible weights and check the load against the span tables for 2x12 joists. The builder is using the same tables. I'm just not sure he understands the possible weight of future tools. It seems doubling the joists would work but 12" on center would be more cost effective. I'll have to consult with an engineer. 

Thanks for all the input.

They make an engineered I-beam floor joist that makes a very flat strong floor and, are considered stronger than dimensional lumber http://www.buildgp.com/wood-i-beam-joists. 2x12's would make for a super strong floor on 2' centers your not parking cars on the floor and all your equipment isn't sitting in only one area of the shop what is the span between beams or, is this space going to be a clear-span if the later depending on the span, it being more than 12' than you will have to go with an engineered joist  .Your builder should be able to guide you in the right direction or, you could confer with a structural engineer.

...and all your equipment isn't sitting in only one area of the shop...

Until you're rearranging the shop or moving things into a corner to do a massive cleaning...it's like "I'll just roll these over here and &%(!$#*^($#!&^!(%)!...AAAAAAAH $(^%$^(!*$^(^((..."

• Like 1

no guessing no clowning around with what should work. i would have a structural engineer help with the loads and get it approved.  it will be well worth the peace of mind when you start thinking of the cost of someone getting hurt or even just the damage of a floor falling through. and if you decide to put 3/4 inch hardwood flooring in, you may want them to take that load in to consideration.

• 6 months later...

I joists or LVL beams are definitely the way to go for strength and no shrinkage as well as maintaining straightness along the beams. Solid block between at recommended intervals and then a 3/4 ply floor over the top. Built many, many homes this way in Australia and they all perform brilliantly. The manufacturers supply span tables with live and dead load calculations. No real need for a structural engineer if you have a competent builder.

Good luck and keep us posted.