Off to Bag a Bambi with my Daughter

chefmagnus@grics.net

The girl and I are heading out to Clinton Lake for the early opener for disabled persons. We will be staying at a friends cabin near the lake. We are going to drive to CU and drop off the frame to my Unisaw at the autoboy painters. Wish us luck. I will check in from time to time if we have cell service down there. 

The girl and I had great luck this morning. I am thinking of buying a lotto ticket and we each pick numbers. We were unloading stuff to go to our stand. Then we heard a clack. We went behind the cabin to find two bucks locked up. I sent the girl to get the bows. They were clueless to the rest of the world.

Girl got back with bows. I used the golf rangefinder to range them between 40-45 yds. I loaded the crossbow faster than I have ever done it before. All the while the girl was giving me the come on already old man. When I was ready I reached out my left arm and patted the girl on the shoulder. She loosed her arrow a second before I launched my bolt. Her arrow got the far buck in the chest between the ribs. My bolt when in behind the shoulder of the near buck. It exited partial into the chest of the far buck pinning them together.

We have field dressed them and are waiting at the ranger station to have them check and tagged so we can take them home to the meat packer for processing. Hers is a 6 point and mine is a 4 point. Both younger bucks but on the bigger size at 147 and 164 pounds each. This will pretty much fill the freezer for the year. I am glad that I didn't buy a extra hog this year. I would rather eat venison any day over pork... Will post pictures when we get better signal. Keeps timing out. 

• Like 1

I almost screwup today. We had so much going on with hunting and going here and there, that I missed both breakfast and lunch. At about 1:30 my blood sugar crashed and I almost passed out at the meat packers. Luckily my daughter was with me and saw what was happening so she got me a soda. A soda and a candy bar later I was able to get my legs under me again. 

I'm done for the year. Sort of lame this year. Park truck to set up camp. Deer dumb enough to watch. Range deer at 42 yards. Untie bow in back of truck. Put on release. Through and through deer rolls almost all the way down hill to me. Field dress pack up and go home.

We didn't get to even carry anything into the cabin. I had planned a big breakfast and foods that the wife frowns upon for the entire weekend. I just got the look when I put the groceries for the cabin into our fridge. 

You need to get out there and hunt. This might be the year that you get lucky too. Don't you know that is why they call it hunting and not harvesting?

As tempted as I am to take a lesson, last year's mule dear field dressed at 285 pounds and my elk was around 450..  Think I'll stick with my hunts..

As tempted as I am to take a lesson, last year's mule dear field dressed at 285 pounds and my elk was around 450..  Think I'll stick with my hunts..

I wasn't saying that you needed any lesson hunting. I was saying that the luck was flowing in the hunters direction today. I had never seen bucks going at before today and had only heard of it on Wild Kingdom when I was a kid. I bet that if we had mom with us she could have gotten her pick of does that were  most likely waiting to see which of these buck won. 

Also my luck ran out we only got 2 numbers on each ticket for the lotto. 

I have had the same luck three years in a row. Bow season is much easier that MF. My wife likes the fact that I'm out of the hills quick. I think next year I will wait to pull the release just to get more time in the hills with the grandson. Elk last year was good. Got a shot off pretty quick and the Sig knocked him down but it took us two days to get him out. Really was a good chance to teach the kid that hunting can be hard work not just the crap you see on tv.

• Like 1

Back straps..

I also run a great deal thru my smokers to make jalapeno land jaegers.  Have to bring them out a little at a time or the kids would wipe out the inventory in one sitting..

Now wait a minute, I gotta know what a " jalapeno land jaeger" is?