Kitchen Swedish Shelves

I made this little unit of Swedish style shelves after almost falling over when I was told that Williams-Sonoma wanted $190 for one like it. I made it out of regular pine with 1/4" steel rods inserted into the cross pieces in the ends for extra support. I made a jig out of MDF pieces to make sure every shelf was the same. It cost $18+glue and staples. I put it together in place. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't level until I checked the floor and found the the wall side was 3/16" higher than the front. I had to use a Japanese Ryoba type saw to trim the legs to get to level out.

Chef posted a lot of copyrighted images as his own, so I'm hiding all of his posts with images

As you can see I filled it up with kitchen stuff pretty quickly. I even had wood leftover to make the top shelf stretch across the back of my upstairs kitchen. 

I don't know what defines them. I know that my grandma had them in her pantry and basement long before I ever heard of Williams-Sonoma or IKEA. From what I've seen they are stable, reinforced with steel rods, have slats to use narrower lumber, and can be combined in many different ways. 

Sweet. That looks great. Quite a cost savings too. Btw. Love the paint job on the door.

We had a old photo from my grandmother's grandmother house in Sweden. We had it colorized and used milk paints to match the colors as best we could. It is not know if it was a actual multi-panel door in the photo or just a design painted on to it. We later contacted family in Sweden and found that they have a clock with the same colors.