Grinding wheel

nateswoodworks

I recently got a heck of a deal on an older Baldor bench grinder ($20), thing is a tank and runs so smooth and quiet you can bearly hear it's running, this replaces my 23-712 which I regret buying! What wheel do you guys use? I have used the standard Norton wheels for years at work but now I see the 3x, other than lasting longer are they any better. My main use is hollow grinding my chisels and plane irons but it will get used a lot on typical odds-n-ends. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

An aluminum oxide wheel is what you want.  The nice white ones run pretty cool.  Norton is what we used when I worked grinding bearings (including aerospace components), so they ought to be good enough for home use.  The threads are put on so the nut won't loosen when pressure is applied to the grinding wheel.  Therefore different directions on each side.

I recently got a heck of a deal on an older Baldor bench grinder ($20), thing is a tank and runs so smooth and quiet you can bearly hear it's running, this replaces my 23-712 which I regret buying! What wheel do you guys use? I have used the standard Norton wheels for years at work but now I see the 3x, other than lasting longer are they any better. My main use is hollow grinding my chisels and plane irons but it will get used a lot on typical odds-n-ends. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I urge you to read this recent thread on SMC:  http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?223019-Heat-damage-to-blades-when-grinding

I am not suggesting that you do as I did, and appears to have become what others have since done, or set up as a grail ... but it will offer you a discussion that covers a wide range of options.

What did I do? For years I have used a Norton 3X 46 grit and a Norton white 46 grit on a 8" half-speed grinder. I hated the dust it created.  Dust and heat. I preferred using a Tormek 2000, which was cool, accurate, silent and dust-free ... but slow. Now I am using a 180 grit CBN wheel on the grinder, with minimised dust, minimal heat. Not cheap, but will last forever. 

3_zps0a002adb.jpg

This is a 1" chisel with a hollow grind and a micro bevel honed to 0.5 microns ...

[img[http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/CBN%20Wheel/3-Ultra-Fine-Spydercoa_zpsee6e86ce.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek