How do i install stacked stone on my fireplace?

Nick2cd

I have a fireplace with an ugly 1960's brick veneer.  under the veneer there is a smooth concrete shell that's about 1.5" thick.  Once i remove the old veneer, can i apply the stone with type S mortar directly to the concrete or do i still need the wire lath and scratch coat of mortar?  Any tips, tricks, or good installation videos would be much appreciated.  i have not yet found what I'm looking for on youtube.  

If Are talking about the stick on type stone, it is suggested that you not only put on a wire lath but tarpaper (roofing felt) should be put on under the wire lath.

Order of operations

Paper

Lath

Wire

Scratch coat, (wait at least till next day for installing stone)

Butter the back of the material being installed, stick and hold for a few seconds, starting at the top and working down

Don't Fill the joint between until at least the next day, if style and desire dictates.

Mark

I lathe all old work because I find it easier than preparing the old concrete. Type S is considered sufficient. Mortar needs to be moist enough to butter into the rock texture. Set by eye. Irregularities will make your level useless. (Had a newbie try it once. It all had to be redone.) Use a level line if you like, but then eye to the line. Without, you can get waves. Once the scratch coat is up, the rest is fun and fast. Layout your rock on the floor for looks and then transfer to the wall.

Edit: ^^He's the expert.

If Are talking about the stick on type stone, it is suggested that you not only put on a wire lath but tarpaper (roofing felt) should be put on under the wire lath.

Order of operations

Paper

Lath

Wire

Scratch coat, (wait at least till next day for installing stone)

Butter the back of the material being installed, stick and hold for a few seconds, starting at the top and working down

Don't Fill the joint between until at least the next day, if style and desire dictates.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

and yes i am talking about the stick on stone like M-Rock or similar products.  out of curiosity, what's the purpose of the felt and lath and scratch coat over existing concrete?  how do i attach the metal lath to the concrete?

I don't always put the felt in. As a matter of fac,t I did not use it on my porch.

The manufactures of the product want the stick on stone to be attached too, yet independent of, the structure. If you are pretty sure you there is no movement in the base it could be left off but if you get any movement or shrinkage you will get some hairline cracks.

Install the wire with tapcons or spax screws about 12" OC