Recommend me some cost effective chisels

bob493

Hey guys, ready to "splurge" on some chisels, but I am, at heart, a cheapskate. I run stanley chisels, but they are getting tired, and I would like to step up my game a bit.

I'm looking for 3-4 chisels, 1/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inches wide. Hollow ground would be a plus, but isn't required. 

If you guys have a quick "industry standard" suggestion, Im all ears! 

Followed a recommendation here for Irwin Marples and have been satisfied with them as a good budget chisel.

I bought a set of the Irwin's a while back, it was the first "new set" I ever bought, I have had them a couple years and I am pretty happy with them. I wish I could find a set of turning chisels in the same price range that would hold up as well

yeah, I ordered an 8 piece set of narex chisels for 75$! I imagine they will work just fine. My stanley's are pretty tired, and they don't have much of a blade length, so Im hoping these extra length narex's prove their worth over time :)

Thanks again 

When you get them, clean the coating off, and give them a good hone.... Any new blade needs a hone prior to use..... You'll enjoy the Narex!

I would check out the Narex chisels that Lee Valley sells. I have a couple of their mortise chisels and like them. Plus right now they have free shipping!

They list them in fractional sizes, and the pictures indicate fractional labeling on them, are they truely fractional sizes or relabeled metric sizes?

They list them in fractional sizes, and the pictures indicate fractional labeling on them, are they truely fractional sizes or relabeled metric sizes?

I cannot say for sure, I have never measure my mortise chisels to see if they are actually imperial sizes. I have a very hard time believing that LV would sell these chisels in imperial sizes if they were not actually the correct imperial size. 

I got the bevel edge Narex chisels in Dec 2010 (dad has them now) and at the time they where Metric, and can still be seen here (no longer available).

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49989

I believe the new ones listed here are indeed imperial, you might want to call customer service and check.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=67707

I got the bevel edge Narex chisels in Dec 2010 (dad has them now) and at the time they where Metric, and can still be seen here (no longer available).

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49989

I believe the new ones listed here are indeed imperial, you might want to call customer service and check.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=67707

They are listed in metric on amazon so I wouldn't be surprised if Lee Valley gets them in imperial special. 

I decided to order a set of 4 Narex Chisels from LV while they are offering free shipping. I currently just use one 1/2" LN chisel for almost all my work. I had a couple  Irwins but I beat they are beat to hell. I want to keep the LN chisel on my joinery bench and the Narex chisels in the tool chest.