Can Wood Be Too Dry?

chefmagnus@grics.net

I am home from dialysis and doing better than usual. Last week I got out some hickory, maple, and popular for some cutting boards that I am starting. I jointed and planed all the boards up on Friday. The popular did make quite a bit of fine dust while I planed it. I was just wondering so I got out the moisture meter. 

I stuck the probes of the moisture meter into the popular and it is between 5-8% the others are 14-16%.  Is this too dry? If so, how do I fix it? I tried three different boards and got the same readings.

I am going to try and get cutting boards done with limited tools. I won't have access to my planer, jointer, or table saw etc for a couple months. I plan on cutting most of the blocks on my SCMS on the back deck.  I have never tried it this way so it will be a leaning experience.  I will have access to a band saw when I go to a friends house. I will post a update on the destruction in the shop area.  

My plan is to make a end grain light colored checker board and then put a dark stripes thru it. 

OK If I put it all together into the same area, how long will this equalization take? My house is 68ºF and 42%. I didn't have but the barest knowledge of moisture content just a month ago. Now I am learning more and more. Thanks PB. The word equalize was what I needed to google a number of methods to fix the wood. 

I have already ripped and planed and jointed the boards. I was going to limit glue up to 12" so I could cut them on the SCMS with a stop block. I just got a 120 tooth thin kerf blade to try out on the SCMS. The sample cuts are fantastic. I hope that it holds up cause it will be expensive to get sharpened. And like I said in a earlier post this will be a learning experience. I am going to have to figure out how to get the thin strips for the stripe. I forgot to cut them while I was getting everything together.