Table saw motor broke! This stinks - ideas where to get a new motor?

NJ_Mike

I have a craftsman table saw model 315.228390.  Yesterday while making some cuts there was a loud banging noise and I shut down the saw.  Taking a look around the saw I noticed the belt was loose - a part looked like it sheered off the motor and the pulley came off the motor shaft and ended up across the garage...I mean shop.  It didn't hit me so I was happy but then I stated to curse and swear because now I have to get a new motor from somewhere.  I called Sears and they don't make that motor or saw anymore so I stated to look around.  I was thinking about getting a Grizzly motor- it was about $210. Anyone have ideas about where to get a motor for a contractor saw?  When I was cooking dinner I mentioned a new cabinet saw and my wife gave me that sideways look while she burped the baby as our 2yr old ran around the living room.  I'm going to have to divert some funds from the band saw account to pay for this...I'm still mad.

That is rough. As suggested I would definitely keep my eye on craigslist and I know in my area we have a used tools store and they always have motors for around $100, I assume they pull them off tools that are otherwise unrecoverable. Also I know the state of Oklahoma auctions off used machinery, so maybe your state does too. Sorry for your trouble.

Just curious..  What makes you think the motor is shot?  Did the shaft shear off or just the pulley?  There's usually a small key on the shaft that keeps the pulley on.  If that's all that sheared, it's usually a simple and inexpensive replacement.

If your motor isn't fixable, I've got used 14 amp, 1.5hp motor from an Emerson era Craftsman 113.298761 that's in good running condition.  It has two caps and should be a direct fit with your saw.  I'd like $100 for it, and I think it'll fit in a large Priority Flat Rate box ($17).  I'll include the belt and pulley if you want them.  Send me a PM if interested, and I'll take some pics for you.

It looks a lot like this one, but hasn't been repainted:

m510nx2.jpg

• Like 1

Your motor sounds fixable to me. A new pulley us about 10 dollars. A new key ( long square piece of metal that stops the pulley from sliding on the shaft ) is usually less then 1 dollar from a hardware store. A new set screw which holds the pulley onto the key, is also less then a dollar. I would be surprised if your motor shaft actually broke off. You are probably a few dollars away from a working saw.

maybe sheered was the wrong word.  it was the key that was missing from the shaft..that was a part that i could not find so i assumed something broke.  i was able to get one yesterday and i'm back in business.  its a way better way to go then a new motor. band saw fund still in tact for now.  thanks guys!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/13/2014 at 3:35 AM, NJ_Mike said:

maybe sheered was the wrong word.  it was the key that was missing from the shaft..that was a part that i could not find so i assumed something broke.  i was able to get one yesterday and i'm back in business.  its a way better way to go then a new motor. band saw fund still in tact for now.  thanks guys!

There you go ;-)