Used Domino vs 2nd bandsaw vs ?

estesbubba

So there is a "brand new never used" Domino DF 500 E Set plus the Domino Tenon & Cutter assortment systainer on CL for $700. I have a Leigh FMT that I got new for $599 and it's now double that price. I also have the extra guides and set of Whiteside solid carbide spiral bits. I know the Domino would be a little faster, and it's really cool, but do I really need one...?

I have a 17" Griz bandsaw that I could setup with 3/4" blade for straight cuts and resawing. I could get a new Griz 14" for $500 and use that for curves, etc. But, do I really need a 2nd bandsaw...?

What do you guys think? I really want to get into planes, want to build Roubo workbench which isn't cheap. It could just be that I'm sick of working with pine and OSB and ready to actually build something in my new shop. Oh, but I have to paint the walls and ceiling first - crap!

My opinion = Build the Roubo.

To this day one of my all time favorite projects and easily my favorite piece of "shop furniture" I've ever built.

You will learn a ton and have a great time. Then have probably the most useful tool in your shop when done.

Just one man's opinion.

Roubo, or any hefty, solid work bench.... Names are just names... Any bench that works the way you want it to is the best bench you can build!

In terms of priority, if I were you, the bench would probably come first.  But Festool never goes on sale, and if that Domino and assortment kit are truly "brand new, never used," you'll be saving several hundred dollars that you won't be able to save if you ever go to buy it later.  Ever.  Finding a great deal on Festool is like winning the lottery.  You can add the 14" bandsaw at any time.

• Like 1

In terms of priority, if I were you, the bench would probably come first.  But Festool never goes on sale, and if that Domino and assortment kit are truly "brand new, never used," you'll be saving several hundred dollars that you won't be able to save if you ever go to buy it later.  Ever.  Finding a great deal on Festool is like winning the lottery.  You can add the 14" bandsaw at any time.

Agreed 1000 percent!!!  

I just bought a Domino and its truly an amazing piece of toolery.  I was a little bit skeptical about the rave reviews I was reading about it, but it lives up to them.

I agree with Eric, you aren't likely to find the domino at that price again while you can probably pick up the bandsaw (or similar) at any point in time.

I just paid about twice that for the domino plus the tenon/cutter assortment.

Heck, you could buy the domino and probably turn around and sell it for several hundred profit.

Well the Domino kit and tenon/cutter assortment truly looked unused. The domino packages were unopened, protective film on domino plate, and cord never had been unwrapped. The guy selling said he bought a bunch of tools from a guy that was a Festool "collector". Since he already had a Domino with the newer stops and systainer he decided to sell this one.

So for $600 I think I did alright. I don't know if the older kit came with the trim stop - if so that is missing but I can always buy it if needed.

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Congrats Bubba.  You'll love it and at that price you wont regret the purchase one bit.

Not sure if you have any other festools, but I bought the bosch DC hose to go with mine.  Its much less expensive than the festool brand hose.  I've never used the green hose, but can verify that the bosch fits the domino perfectly.

There are a few things that the older domino with the pins will do that the newer ones don't . As well as a few drawbacks that I have learned to live with and work around.

The trim stops don't get used much in my shop, but the domino gets used on almost every project !

A Domiplate accessory is very useful ! Seneca makes it.

When I saw the CL posting "brand new and never used" I thought to myself "yeah right". I mean, 90% of all CL tool postings are either never used or used once. When I showed up the guy has a woodworking shop and he showed me his newer Domino with the dogs instead of pins. He used his cord and CT and showed me some test cuts with the Domino I bought. When he bought all the tools from the guy that never used them, he ended up with an extra Domino and TS 55 because he already owned them. Wish I would have seen the TS 55 posting too!

I called Festool with my item number and they said that kit didn't come with the cross or trim stops. I got the trim stops with the deal so a little icing to the already sweet deal. Instead of buying the trim stop I might get this instead:

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/multi-position-guide-stop/p/MGS20/