New Woodpecker setup blocks (one-time-tool) ?

Mad Hungarian

Just heard about these things from the latest Highland Woodworking newsletter (i've really got to stop reading those things...).   On rare occasions i've ordered one of the OneTime tools, and i'm slightly tempted again by this one.  But like all their OneTime tools, they're not cheap.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottsetup2014.html

What do you guys think about these setup blocks?  Useful?  Or just one more item to keep track of and clutter the shop?

Some of the functions i can do with my adjustable square.  Others maybe not as easily.

I know lots of people like them but, for me, they're a waste of money.

Where in WA are you?  I live just North of Bellingham..

Bothell.  Lucky you, you're close to Grizzly Tools.  Or maybe that wouldn't be considered lucky...

But i usually make a run up I-5 to them in Bellingham once a year or so, when i get a good coupon.

I have the set that higtron linked to and find them very helpful with set ups. They are a pain to keep track of sometimes.

Couldn't imagine paying the woodpeckers price.

Just got the november Rockler flyer and they have something called "FastCap Mag Shims" I'm looking at for $25 that look like they would be useful for doing the same thing and can be stacked in 1/8" increments.

Spending enough time in the machine shop here at work I can see the use, but you can get more accurate guage block sets for much less

Try something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Shars-Piece-Precision-Traceable-Certificate/dp/B00HG0CSJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415877972&sr=8-2&keywords=guage+blocks

Whoa.  At those prices you can put me in the gonna pass camp.  I'll keep using my 4" combo square, thank you very much.  Besides, 99% of the time, you're either taking measurements directly off your work, or hitting the exact measurement doesn't matter much anyway.  And even with those stop blocks, you should still be doing test cuts, which kind of negates the need for them.  I really don't see the appeal.

• Like 2

Bothell.  Lucky you, you're close to Grizzly Tools.  Or maybe that wouldn't be considered lucky...

But i usually make a run up I-5 to them in Bellingham once a year or so, when i get a good coupon.

Give me a shout next time you head North and I'll meet you at Grizzly

Yeah these one-time tools keep getting more expensive. What I don't understand is if they're that great, why not add them to their product line? I'm sure it's their marketing strategy to add more value and extra-premium price by making them "one-time".

I do have the Kreg setup bars and like them. Sure the brass bars I had were probably good enough, but I needed to put something on my birthday list!

You can go to any steel supply yard and find cutoffs of the most common sizes of cold rolled steel or aluminium. They are probably as accurate and a lot less expensive. You could even paint them red if that makes you feel any better.

I will test this out when I go to the Steel Barn the next time. They have cutoffs by the pound policy. 

You can go to any steel supply yard and find cutoffs of the most common sizes of cold rolled steel or aluminium. They are probably as accurate and a lot less expensive. You could even paint them red if that makes you feel any better.

Can be an issue, some materials like tool steel is generally sold oversized, and even with out that it is a question of how tight the tolerances are.

^^^ Right here... for a few bucks you can get everything you need. I grabbed a handful of assorted sizes, marked them with a sharpie and never looked back. :)

post-2195-0-09342800-1417006142_thumb.jp

They aren't pretty, but then again I think I don't fit the demographic of someone who would consider buying setup blocks that range from $120 to $420.

In my opinion, just plain kooky for a rough setup tool... :blink:  :D

^^^ Right here... for a few bucks you can get everything you need. I grabbed a handful of assorted sizes, marked them with a sharpie and never looked back. :)

attachicon.gifIMG_3289.jpg

They aren't pretty, but then again I think I don't fit the demographic of someone who would consider buying setup blocks that range from $120 to $420.

In my opinion, just plain kooky for a rough setup tool... :blink:  :D

It isn't for rough set up, it is for precision set up.  Of course if the rest of your work isn't done to precise measurements you lose a good portion of the value of a precision set up tool.

The very nature of a setup block makes it a rough setup tool... You are comparing the setup block to a blade or bit by eyesight/touch to set it. It will be close, but in reality it probably won't be exact.... Nor does it necessarily have to be...

I can't ever remember using a setup block and then just leaving it alone, I always have to tweak things as I test fit the parts. It's a good starting point for me, but numerical values and measurements mean nothing, only the physical (relative) dimension that is left is what I care about. This works just as well with a 60 cent bar as it does a $6 bar.

Just my opinion and the way that I use these tools. Your mileage may vary. :D

Exactly.  And that's why I find a little double square perfectly sufficient and set-up blocks a waste of money.  I'm not sure I'd use them if someone gave them to me.

• Like 2