Need opinion on idea for moving my jointer

pghmyn

I know I've asked a question like this before, but now I have a new idea.

I have my 8" jointer that is 72" long.

I don't want to grab it from under the beds. I don't have the lifting bars on this jointer, though. So, I was going to remove my jointer from the mobile base and attach it to two 2x4s that would reach the full length. On each end would be a handle so two people can easily move this 400lb item.

But my mom reminded me that they have a heavy duty dolly at their house, so I came up with the below idea. From my perspective, it looks good. But I may be over-sighting something, which is why I ask your opinion as well.

post-7471-0-18440900-1415899838_thumb.jp

Sam, You've got more lead in your pencil than I do if two of you can easily carry 400 lbs. using the 2x method :blink:

Using the dolly method (and I don't understand all I know about physics) I don't think the operator would ever be carrying more than half the weight, so looks like a good idea to me as long as the dolly is heavy duty and you have a good flat surface to roll it on.

Sam, You've got more lead in your pencil than I do if two of you can easily carry 400 lbs. using the 2x method :blink:

Using the dolly method (and I don't understand all I know about physics) I don't think the operator would ever be carrying more than half the weight, so looks like a good idea to me as long as the dolly is heavy duty and you have a good flat surface to roll it on.

Well that's the thing. I don't mind either method if all I was doing is rolling across a relatively flat surface. This dolly method is for going up the 13 stairs from the basement.

Would the bolts be putting undue stress on the body due to the angle? I would have thought they were designed for horizontal stress not on a slope like that.

Good point.

I wouldn't plan on ever standing the jointer up perpendicular to the ground, putting all the stress on the holes. I think if the bolts are tightened down enough to create friction between the base and 2x4, it would help overcome and ill effect. Ideally, this setup wont ever go above 45 degrees relative to the ground.

It looks good in the drawing next to your fiancée's pretty handwriting.  Whether that translates to success in reality, who knows.

I still say hire movers.  But I'm lazy and have only a bit more lead in my pencil than Coop.  I think I'd pop an intestine trying to get that thing down some stairs.  It was heavy as hell just lifting the beds onto the base with one buddy.  I have the same machine.  I wish you the best of luck, my young buddy!

It looks good in the drawing next to your fiancée's pretty handwriting.  Whether that translates to success in reality, who knows.

I still say hire movers.  But I'm lazy and have only a bit more lead in my pencil than Coop.  I think I'd pop an intestine trying to get that thing down some stairs.  It was heavy as hell just lifting the beds onto the base with one buddy.  I have the same machine.  I wish you the best of luck, my young buddy!

I haven't attained any success through my pretty handwriting yet, but I can tell you a funny story...

One day in high school, a substitute teacher came in for the day. I was working on homework, while referencing examples and old problems I have done before. Teacher comes by and grabs what I'm working on and says, "Are you really cheating in class?"

I say, "What are you talking about?"

He says, "This handwriting is obviously not yours."

Girl next to me says, "Um, he has the girliest handwriting in the class...that's his."

---

Back on topic, so it looks like this option is a go. I am going to start disassembling tools tonight since I am caught up on homework.

So it will be up a flight of stairs, turn around then down another flight. I'd also think about some sort of restraint at the bottom end to give a bit of belt and braces support and remove the risk of it hitting the end of the dolly if anything goes wrong. Cast iron can be very fragile.

Is it just me, or am I missing something?  Unless you’ve got vintage iron, it’s not a big deal to move an 8” jointer in/out of a basement shop... If it’s just too heavy for you and two friends, separate the tables from the base – you’re going to have to re-shim the tables after the move anyway… If that’s too big a deal, call your local locksmith and ask who they use to set residential safes – usually a low-end rigging company (much cheaper than the real deal)…

One thing that bothers me about the dolly method is that it seems like the center of gravity will be to far from the 'operater' with the tables facing out. It would balance better with tables against the frame of the dolly, putting the bulk of the weight directly over the axle. Also, is that a furniture dolly, one that has solid tires and the belts behind the frame for dragging over stairs? If not, find one, they are much better suited for that task. And strap the load so that it is one with the dolly!. Nothing ruins your day like having a 400 lb load slip off the platform as you try to heave it up the stairs.

One last plea for sanity, then I'll drop out of this thread. Folks are way over thinking this… I've moved dozens of pieces of heavy kit in/out of basement shops... One of my lessons learned: the more complicated you make this; the more likely something is going to go wrong... KISS... If you don't have three beefy friends, then hire someone or remove the tables... I’ve moved woodworking machines up to 1250lbs with just some friends, pizza and beer --- and hired riggers for the big stuff…

One last plea for sanity, then I'll drop out of this thread. Folks are way over thinking this… I've moved dozens of pieces of heavy kit in/out of basement shops... One of my lessons learned: the more complicated you make this; the more likely something is going to go wrong... KISS... If you don't have three beefy friends, then hire someone or remove the tables... I’ve moved woodworking machines up to 1250lbs with just some friends, pizza and beer --- and hired riggers for the big stuff…

I forgot to mention about that part of hiring or having friends help.

I have thought about having friends help, but I only have my fiance's dad. I wish there was another way to put this, but no one but their household is allowed into the basement. It is a mess down there, I'll admit. If I get some time, and I'm not too tired from work, I think I'll get to it this weekend. I'll start with just carrying it on 2x4s with no dolly and see where to go from there.