Spray booth fan

bsmtdweller

Hi everyone, I found this fan from amazon fairly cheap in comparison to explosion proof fans (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I4BFWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to use with a spray booth.  Has anyone had any experience with this one?  While the description says it can be used for paint booths and VOC removal I want to be sure before spraying lacquer.

Sorry for the size of the pic.

Sam.

81c9boROaFL._SL1500_.jpg

VOC is not explosion proof. I'll mention it again thats not enough fan. It would be good for a small table top spray booth. I would take ventilation a little more seriously. Just because others use box fans for spray booths doesn't mean its actually working. My seizures started at age 50 and the accompanying heart attacks are not something you want.

I want to say that I recall (from a previous thread) a target of 'linear speed' of air of 1 ft/sec, so if a small room had a 3'Wx7'H doorway into it, that's 21 sf so you would need 1260cfm minimum.  If that fan gets a realistic 500cfm then you'd want at least 3 of them for a small finish room.  

But as PB said, VOC is not necessarily explosion proof. 

I want to say that I recall (from a previous thread) a target of 'linear speed' of air of 1 ft/sec, so if a small room had a 3'Wx7'H doorway into it, that's 21 sf so you would need 1260cfm minimum.  If that fan gets a realistic 500cfm then you'd want at least 3 of them for a small finish room.  

But as PB said, VOC is not necessarily explosion proof. 

Close. Your 3x7 door way is 21 sq ft so that 2100 cfm. But you that would mean the filter wall is 3x7 also not very useful. Your filter wall is the is your working width. So lets say your spray room is 8x8x8 The back wall is 8x8 and the front opening is 8x8 64x100= 6400cfm.

Ah OK so it's really the room cross sectional area.

I'll disagree on your first statement though.  a 21 sf door, which needs 1 lf/sec of air, is 21*60sec or 1260.CFM

But the cross section of the room makes more sense - you want all the air moving, not just the doorway air.

Ah OK so it's really the room cross sectional area.

I'll disagree on your first statement though.  a 21 sf door, which needs 1 lf/sec of air, is 21*60sec or 1260.CFM

But the cross section of the room makes more sense - you want all the air moving, not just the doorway air.

Nope federal law is 100fpm minimum air flow per sq ft. 21 sq ft door is 2100 minimum by law. Meaning your room would have to be 3 wide and 7 tall. By law you cannot have any dead air pockets so you can't just throw a door on a room larger than the door.

Ill add in some states its as high as 200fpm per square ft. In WA its 200 on small booths such as conveyer door booths.

Damn, and I thought I was lucky to find this.  Does anyone have any cheap recommendations for a (appropriate) fan?  I'm going to be spraying in my garage with a respirator and all appropriate safety gear.  I just want something to pull any over-spray out of a side window in my garage.  I would be opening the garage door once done.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

P.S. I emailed the company about this fan and specifically asked about using this for spray booths.  I agree with PB as well, the description says paint booth but not necessarily explosion proof. 

Personally for a home shop I would worry less about an explosion and worry more about air flow, one for finish quality the other is health. Northern tool has fans. Go to compliant spray booths you will see just how easy it is to make a good booth sized to fit your needs. Really not much to them at all.

Personally for a home shop I would worry less about an explosion and worry more about air flow, one for finish quality the other is health. Northern tool has fans. Go to compliant spray booths you will see just how easy it is to make a good booth sized to fit your needs. Really not much to them at all.

like these? 

http://www.thefinishpro.com/store/home.php?cat=271

How about something like this for a fan http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/LFI-P12-4.html?gclid=CMKhjdP0-sECFXJp7AodHGsAjg My plan was to build a simple spray booth like the one in Jeff Jewitt's book 'Spray Finishing Made Simple' which is basically made from foam insulation.  If all I was going to spray was waterborne the type of fan wouldn't be an issue but with lacquer I don't want to take chances.