Dw 735 planer

rodger.

I just spent a boat load of cash on some new festool gear, but this planer has come up at a great price ( and includes the tables and extra knives). I am pondering buying one.

Currently I have a ridgid tp1300, which is a pretty awesome planer. It has three issues I don't like:

1. Dust collection - the hood for DC is a reducing port from 4 to 2.5 inches. I connect a 5" hose, and it steps down twice to get the chips and dust. It chokes my dust collector.

2. It's no longer made, so blades are getting harder and harder to buy.

3. It doesn't have a 5/8" stop, or adjustable turret to make one.

I don't really need a new planer, but I am having a hard time passing this sale up. Any advice from current or former owners of the dewalt?

I have a DW735, and it performs quite well. It's at the top end of being too heavy to call portable, weighing in at 98 lbs. Three knives make for a smooth cut, and the chip extraction is great. If you really want to spend the money, there is even a shelix type cutterhead available for it.

Do you use a dc system with the planer? If so, what size hose? Do you find the hose gets in the way of the out feed?

I have the DW735X, it's a wonderful planer for the price. I paid 650 for the planer, extra knives, in/outfeed  extensions, and the dewalt table to mount it on. I'm happy with it so far, the knives are reversible and are available everywhere. I use a DC with 4" hose. My only complaint is that the hose is in the way of outfeed so you need to adjust the hose to the side of the unit, or make a hose hanger for it. It's also deafeningly loud, so hearing protection is a must.

Tried it, hose is indeed a pain. I usually just open the garage door and blow the chips outside. Don't stand it the output stream, those chips have serious velocity!

I like the 735, and my dust collection is interesting!   It's green, and I empty just after dark at 65mph.... Makes nice roadside mulch!

post-15288-0-71735800-1415932245_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've upgraded mine with a shelix. It's much quieter and planes exotics without gouging. The drawback is- it's amp load now has a tendency to trip my 20 amp breaker if I take too much material off and don't have the tables waxed really good. I'm thinking of wiring a 30 amp breaker near it when I move it into the new shop.

• Like 1

I picked up the  DW735 a long time ago at a great price from Lowes, and it's run flawlessly.  I've upgraded it with the tables, and more recently a Shelix, whch definitely makes it a more capable machine - I really don't worry if the knives are dull, or if I'll get tearout (I do some work with figured maple).  I have it connected to my Delta 50-750 dust collector with about 24" of flex pipe and then 4" smooth walled pipe all the way to the DC and it does just fine.  A long milling session will fill the bag quickly, but changing is is not that terrible.  Keeping the tables clean and waxed is definitely a good idea - makes a huge difference in eliminating snipe.

I picked up some HSS blades from Infinity, and they lasted twice as long as the OEM, but I did find a guy that will "hone" these blades, so I can get a second use from them.  I haven't tried it yet, but I have every intention of trying... OEM blades are about $60 , Infinity's are about $80.. As much as I use the planer, just tossing that kind of money, just doesn't work for me!  Shelix is about $500., so with Christmas, birthdays and a bunch of other money spending reasons hitting soon, the shelix is out of the question for the time being!

Yes - the infeed table does no problem, but the outfeed table is mounted a little closer to the body of the unit, so in order to fold the table up you need to raise the unit up to about the 5" mark.  Then and can be lifted but needs to be secured in place or it just falls down again.

Silly question perhaps, but do the folding tables fold up and out of the way when the unit is being stored (tool-less-ly)?

Yes they fold... however be careful on the outfeed side.. On my planer the casting wasn't very well finished, and to make the table fold, I had to take a file to the casting... Now the table does what it's supposed to do.... Use a bungie to make sure it stays up and out of your way!