Dw 735 planer

rodger.

I am planning on picking one up, I am debating on getting the deal at rockier after Black Friday. The planer, tables, knives and the stand for 650.

busybee has a better price, if you dont want the stand. Not sure what shipping would cost.

I prefer to make my own stands so they have extra storage.

I have the DW 735 as well. Initially there were no problems and then the last time it was used, board had to be forced through the machine. I researched online and found that cleaning and waxing the table were recommended along e\with cleaning the rollers with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Had to fully elevate the cutter head and watch the rollers spin to fet a 'dirty' spot come to rest when cutting power. The rollers will not turn by hand when the machine is off. I haven't yet tried after the service, anyone have similar issues?

I hate saying this, but, after every run I take simple green to the rollers and table.  Then let them dry while I deal with my project.... Then just before I put the planer away [i have to move it to use it] I wax the tables.  That way, it's ready to go the next time I need to use it...  Cleaning the rollers is probably the most important thing you can do to keep it functional.

• Like 2

I have the DW 735 as well. Initially there were no problems and then the last time it was used, board had to be forced through the machine. I researched online and found that cleaning and waxing the table were recommended along e\with cleaning the rollers with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Had to fully elevate the cutter head and watch the rollers spin to fet a 'dirty' spot come to rest when cutting power. The rollers will not turn by hand when the machine is off. I haven't yet tried after the service, anyone have similar issues?

I have had to clean the rollers on my current bench top planer as well.  No biggie - this is just regular maintenece and I expect to have to do this with all planers.  I use isopropyl alcohol for roller cleaning.

I've had mine for 4 years or so and have been very happy with it.  I've thought of upgrading, but the truth is I don't have the room for anything larger, so it is perfect for my needs.

I was going to post this question elsewhere and then realized this a good place to ask it.

This weekend I was planing hard maple beams for a bench I am building.  Hard stuff.  I was getting some burning on each piece, Not a ton, but on the peaks. I started taking extremely light passes to clean up the burn.   Maybe a stupid question-- but is it just time to sharpen the blades?  or am I just pushing the machine too hard?

I read above about the factory blades not holding an edge.  These are the original blades (4 years, but I'm not a pro, time wise).

thanks

I've had mine for 4 years or so and have been very happy with it.  I've thought of upgrading, but the truth is I don't have the room for anything larger, so it is perfect for my needs.

I was going to post this question elsewhere and then realized this a good place to ask it.

This weekend I was planing hard maple beams for a bench I am building.  Hard stuff.  I was getting some burning on each piece, Not a ton, but on the peaks. I started taking extremely light passes to clean up the burn.   Maybe a stupid question-- but is it just time to sharpen the blades?  or am I just pushing the machine too hard?

I read above about the factory blades not holding an edge.  These are the original blades (4 years, but I'm not a pro, time wise).

thanks

The burn is your first warning that your blades are almost dull at least on that one side... if you haven't flipped them, now is the time to do it. If you have, new blades are in order and try to find someone to "Hone" them, not sharpen... That will take to much edge and you'll have to replace them anyway!   Infinity.com sells a HSS 735 set of blades that are thicker and last longer.... they're about $80 a set.    Powertec sells what they call HSS blades, but they're not much better than OEM!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...