Woodworking marking systems

TerryMcK

You are dealing with some cultural context issues here. Tried and true can be wittily applied to a tri-square but is in much broader use before tri-squares were in broad use. We have to get to Britain's industrial revolution before tri-squares (three uses) were more than a high priced novelty and yet we can find evidence of things being tried (trial) and found true in legal and religious writing hundreds of years earlier. Roy is great with the witticism though. We tend as humans to learn by association and he has forever linked a comment in peoples' minds by use of clever word play. I also remember a comment on rebates (rabbets) grooves (dados?) and the like having particular meanings with regard to how they run with or across the grain. I think this was an East side of the Atlantic thing and not pure snobbery.

Word and phrase origins can be interesting and enlightening. I was taught the correct name is try square, and that tri-square is incorrect. Everything I've learned in the 3 plus decades since has supported that to be true. A groove is parallel to the grain, a dado is perpendicular. I've always assumed a plow plane was called that because of similarities to a farm plow, it is plowing out the the grain. The term plow for a groove on the face is new to me, I found it in an American industrial arts textbook from the fifties. My use of conceit had nothing to do with snobbery but meant an idea unique to the author. I have no idea of the origin of tried and true but Roy is well educated and well read so I pay attention when he talks.