MAN! It's cold outside! My Glue ain't gunna freeze this year.

ChetlovesMer

Okay, is this the most brilliant idea of all time, or am I a complete moron?

First of all, my shop is heated. But if I'm planning on not doing anything out there for a while I shut the heat off.

Usually, and I stress usually, I remember to bring my glues into the house. But inevitably I forget to bring my glue in and the stuff freezes.

Okay, so I've got these spaces in and under my miter saw station. Then I thought "Hey, I can put a door on one of those spaces"; then add some insulation, then a thermostat and a light bulb and ta-da; A place to keep my glue from freezing.

So, I already had a thermostat from back in the day when my shop was heated electrically. I went to my big box and got a light for like a buck. The great thing is you are actually looking for a low-efficiency bulb, which today they basically give away. Then I dumpster dived and found some insulation and some attic shielding. Presto for like almost no money I built this little warming box.

It actually works great. I can set the thermostat at like 50 degrees and it keeps my glue warm enough that I don't have to worry about bringing it into the house.

Okay, so am I brilliant or did I just waist and hour and a half I could have spent building a box-joint jig?

post-2771-0-33260300-1415987234_thumb.jppost-2771-0-40711500-1415987254_thumb.jppost-2771-0-48864600-1415987275_thumb.jp

I think it's a novel idea and you did a great job.

I need to do the same in my shop, only I need to make one to keep my beer cold. But they already make something called a fridge!

Good luck to everyone north of Dallas, I don't know how you do it.

And I also think you should send me those walnut cut offs so you'll have more cabinet space :D

It's 37 in Virginia and it's getting colder. I have a 220 5000 watt heater in my garage that I leave to keep my shop at around 55-60 degrees. Last year I changed the weather stripping to seal outside air from coming in, added a closed cell foam in between the door joints, weather stripping on the bottom of the door, insulated the outside wall, ran electrical, sheetrocked, next thing I need to do is put insulation on the back of the garage door to keep that heat in and create a better thermal barrier than wood panels. 

That's a cool little glue warmer though. I had bought some instrument glue that the manufacturer recommended keeping in the refrigerator to extend it's life. 

My da's neighbor heated a pit bull enclosure (with a light bulb) that he fabbed out of four inch trailer panel foam sheets. He had to vent the enclosure because without a thermostat, the enclosure would hit 80° F on a 0° F day. After seeing that, I spent ten years doing the same thing on the job site to keep our caulking useful.

Most things in the world of AC electricity are wired in parallel.  I had a boss once who learned a trick from an old Marine.  The boss had an outside light bulb that was hard to reach and burned out frequently and was a pain to replace.  He added a light fixture and wired the 2 incandescent bulb fixtures in series and used slightly larger wattage light bulbs because in series, they run at a lower power level.  When he left the business 16 years later, the same two bulbs were still burning.

Very clever idea Chet. I consider myself fortunate to have my shop in a heated basement.

Chef are you concerned about the fire hazard a heating pad might introduce? We always hear the horror stories about these things shorting out. I suppose the timer helps to minimize that threat.

But it would just give me pause.

I wonder if one of those heater wires that wrap around pipe would provide sufficient heat...

You could also use it as an easy bake oven when u get hungry!

I have two of those. I go to a Easy Bake Chef Cook Off every June. First prize is $15K. I haven't won yet. Cool contest you have to make a app, entre, and dessert all in a unmodified Easy Bake Classic or Modern Oven. Last year I finished 9th out of 89 contestants. Biggest problem was the power kept going out. I made Shrimp and Cheese Grits Bites, Tuna Steaks with Ginger and Lime with Miso Cakes, and Flourless Chocolate Volcano Cake. I haven't started on this years menu. The wife and kid will complain loudly when they see the Easy Bake come out of the basement. 

In the summer you can fill it with ice and have a beer cooler.

Terry, you and I and Ken Cooper, seem to have this obsession with beer, and that's a good thing!  We're gonna have to figure out a way to have a fest together... We'll just have to pick a specific month... You know, Febfest, or Junefest..... Ocktoberfest is already taken, That leaves us 11 to choose from!

Terry, you and I and Ken Cooper, seem to have this obsession with beer, and that's a good thing!  We're gonna have to figure out a way to have a fest together... We'll just have to pick a specific month... You know, Febfest, or Junefest..... Ocktoberfest is already taken, That leaves us 11 to choose from!

good idea Richard.

I was drinking Sam Adams last night. Really tasty stuff.

• Like 1

YAY BEER! (Chilled to 33 degrees) Party at my house, no rings on the cast iron! =P

Types of beer in that drawer

Corona

Heineken

Angry Orchard Hard Cider

WoodChuck Hard Cider

Guiness

Third Shift

Fat Tire

Shiner Bock

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale

Sam Adams - Octoberfest

Sam Adams - Chocolate Bock