The 2014 xmas build hourly thread

mkirby

Hour 15 was spent fettling the tenon shoulders. Fit seems quite good now.

15674032217_38407da1c2.jpg

Hour 16 was mostly spent trying to remember how to use a plough plane. Tenon pieces both ploughed.

15674032127_ff97a1b1b1.jpg

Hour 17 i had to make a new chisel as i didn't have one small enough to created the stopped grooves. Quick 5 mins at the grinder saw an old screw driver turned into a teeny weeny chisel. Result is i have a groove all around the bottom of the box.

15859163492_ec86c30364.jpg

Just a test fit to check the grooves line up at the corners.

15240148923_93f8c31912.jpg

Good use of an old screwdriver. I have a couple of cheap chisels that I have ground the sides down to fit into narrow slots. Sharpened the side of a 1/4" chisel that I use to clean up tearout in routed grooves.

Good to see " mistakes and all " progress reports. We all make mistakes. It takes skill to fix or hide them !

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to leave the fingers proud, the shadows will hide the gaps :)

Hours 18-20 resulted in the bottom fitting. I cut that damn panel 4 times before i got it right. Didn't matter how many times i measured i still got it wrong.

The top left corner doesn't close so i need to shave a bit off there but its in and i didn't lose my rag with it.

15312834353_454cf1f37c.jpg

Hour 21 was the hour of the epic glue spillage. Managed to empty half a pot of paper glue all down my front and jeans, all over the matting and my bench. My flooring is now stuck permanently to all the shavings and the concrete.

So most of the hour was spent cleaning all that up. I did however get the panel trimmed and the paper on.

15920509566_6605616518.jpg

Really hoping to get it all glued up at the weekend, i know i said that a week ago but im determined.

Hour 22 i sorted the panel out, sharpened my smoother and smoothed all the box parts.

15772821488_7758349bfa.jpg

Hour 23 was prep for glue up and slopping glue everywhere :)

15959569262_df597ddd67.jpg

Tomorrow will mostly be spent working out how im going to do the breadboards and if i have a small enough auger bit to drill them out. Might need to order a new tool ;) At least the hinges have come so i can get the mortises cut for them.

Time for the mistakes post :)

Finally been able to check the box after i glued it up.

15843290567_4123f50d27.jpg

Nice and tight but this is the corner i nicked with the chisel when trimming. I guess i can just glue a chip in there or should i try and square it off and put a bigger piece in?

15843290517_5732f0b1e0.jpg

The mortice split so i had to glue that up. I have a small gap at the top of the tenon. Should i bother trying to fix or leave alone? Suppose i could put a wedge in there but might make it look worse. 

15409406403_a4f1d4a443.jpg

Same again should i put something in or leave alone? This one isn't hidden by the shadows.

15843290417_2dafa65a6a.jpg

Last one.

Once the lids on the breadboard overhang should cast more shadows and obscure some of the gaps. I suppose unless you pick the box up and look at the corner you probably won't notice other than the chip.

Should i plug the gaps or just leave alone?

Thanks

From what I see you might as well finish it up as is. It's a learning process. Just how square and exact can you cut with the available tools. You can try something similar in the future with more experience and maybe better equipment?

I have an early piece my grandfather built and I can see all sorts of issues, but he built it and I still treasure it. I have a few later efforts of his that look much better.

• Like 1

Vinny i didn't use the spring joint as i had done a good enough jobs on the edges for gluing up, came put perfectly flat on one side :)

I will use them on the breadboards as I'm not confident i got the end grain square on the panel.

Hour 27- 28 i got the panel flat and parallel enough to use it as a lid.  The bread boards are prepped just need to be trimmed to length. My phone took some pics but didn't save them for some reason.

I then spent another 30 mins trying to find an auger bit that would match my chisel. I do have one but its a hex shank so it doesn't really sit straight in my brace which is a 2 jaw brace. It will have to do as its all i got.

If the wind stays down tomorrow then i will be out on the bike climbing sheep trails over the hills into Scotland. If not i will be drilling out mortices.

Nearly there.