The 2014 xmas build hourly thread

mkirby

Hours 29 - 30 saw me chopping out the panel mortices as my auger bits just would not cut end grain.

16096239995_ecfa80023f.jpg

Hour 31 and i have a bread board on :)

16070463386_8a2b9f43b7.jpg

Im hoping to get the top glued up tonight and get the hinges on. Then i can spend all boxing day sanding and getting the shellac on. I have until Saturday night to get this done.

Had a minor panic as there was a screw missing from the hinge packet. I don't know if it came one short or i lost it but my dad managed to find one the same size. Its not brass but is kinda gold coloured. It will have to do.

Spent hours 35 and 36 sanding. Box is all done to 220 and end grain to 400.

Off to eat the leftovers from yesterday then I'm putting the 1st coat on :)

Started putting the finish on and i can safely say i will never be using shellac again. Gone from being quite happy with my box to wanting to burn it so no one sees it.

It is now an orange sticky runny mess completely screwed now i think.

The shellac has pooled on every edge and run, bits of cloth are stuck to it. Knew i should have stuck to the danish oil.

Looks like i will be re sanding, bathing it in alcohol and going to get some bog standard varnish to slap on it.

I hate finishing

15491687234_1950a981d1.jpg

• Like 1

Shellac can be a nice finish, but dries very fast. It looks like perhaps you were wiping it on with a paper towel??? That would explain the bits of paper stuck in it. As for the color, did you use a canned shellac, or mix you own from flakes? My recommendation for canned is to use Zinnser Bullseye Sealcoat, it is both blonder, and cut thinner, than the Bullseye Shellac product. Wipe on with a clean cotton T-shirt rag that is first rolled up tight to form a swab, and dipped in alcohol.

Steve is correct, some alcohol and a scotchbrite pad will clean up the mess. Won't take much to clean up for a fresh try at shellac, maybe a bit more work if you still plan to switch finishes.

Oh, one more thing. If using canned shellac, check the date. The stuff starts losing it's ability to cure hard sometime after the expiration date on the can.

Spent the day getting all the shellac off.

Need to go back through the grits but at least it appears salvaged. I can't see any obvious orange tint any more so hopefully my next finish won't highlight any missed bits. Should be done by the end of the week.