DOH! Measure 4 Times, Cut Once

Tom Cancelleri

I'm working on a Batman themed walking stick as a gift for my bro in law. I was planning on cutting the Batman logo into the wider part of the blank in the attached picture. The Batman logo is a 1 to 2 ratio, for every inch high it's 2 inches wide. I measured properly the first time and before I cut it on the table saw to make the shoulders of where the logo is going to be , then I looked at it and said wait... The square part for the blank is 2  by 2 so I thought wait 6 1/2 inches is too wide. The wide part of the blank where the logo is, is 3  1/4. So I make a change in the length, cut it and hit the bandsaw to rip down the lines. Then I looked at it and said "SH*T!" had to call an audible and gonna have to make a little change in the logo.

How many of you have made stupid mistakes like this? 

post-16369-0-30026200-1416074288_thumb.j

post-16369-0-47638000-1416074289_thumb.j

I made a closet shelf for my wife. Measured it and then cut. Went in and it was too short. Went out to the saw and trimed another ¼" off and it was even more too short. Smacked myself in the forehead with the board as I went out to the shop to get another one and start over. Found out I measured from the insides of the two ledger boards that were supposed to hold the shelf up. So a DOH! proves you are human...