Flattening glued up panels

rogjoe

Has any one out there flattened a glued up panel with steam?  I read where a guy did this with wet towels and an iron, then added weights.  I glued up a 54x54 oak panel for a table top, did everything in my power to keep it flat while drying, but after I took the clamps off the outside edges were 1/4 higher than the center.  If I use a router sled I would end up taking off more wood than I would like.  Right now it's 1 1/4 thick. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  The boards I used were from 6" to 8" and I flipped the boards according tho the growth rings (alternating).

Did the shop happen to mark the faces. First never trust a jointer or saw cut for wide panels. Flip the faces so that even if the fence or blade is off a hair you still have a flat panel. With panels this wide in your home shop without a panel flattener its so much easier to glue up in halves or thirds then do the final glue up.

• Like 1

Did the shop happen to mark the faces. First never trust a jointer or saw cut for wide panels. Flip the faces so that even if the fence or blade is off a hair you still have a flat panel. With panels this wide in your home shop without a panel flattener its so much easier to glue up in halves or thirds then do the final glue up.

Good advice here.  I always do a large panel in stages.

As i work wood more and more, I have realized that my patience level has inceased at least tenfold.  Eventually I came to realize that several weeks (or more) is not an unrealistic time frame in which to complete a project.  I used to try and ram in as many operations as I could, but now I "take it slow".  I try and focus on the quality of every piece, as opposed to trying to meet my self imposed deadline.

• Like 1