Stella doesn't want her groove

julzNjt

Hello,

I am hoping I can get some help and answers to my perplexing issue.  I recently bought this beautiful table from Craigslist and although it's in decent condition, it needs some TLC and a major flaw needs to be addressed.  It has these decorative, deep grooves in the top that catch every crumb and make it impossible to keep clean.  My kid can't do his homework at the table either because his pencil hits the groove and rips the paper.  It just isn't very functional and I would like to make the surface smooth if possible.  Is there anyway to fill these grooves?  The table is very heavy and appears to be solid wood, although I am a complete novice and don't know any specifics.  Any help would be appreciated.

post-16425-0-43083400-1416090773_thumb.j

post-16425-0-53695600-1416090872_thumb.j

post-16425-0-30024300-1416090927_thumb.j

Great chance to learn stringing inlay. I think for best effect I would inlay and then re-finish the top. The old finish will help keep your media from contaminating the top as it should lift off with the finish. Epoxy or resin casting is not a half bad idea either as Kev suggests, but not everyone likes that look. Since such deep grooves are a real pain for all sorts of reasons I wonder if the table came with a loose glass top.

Great chance to learn stringing inlay. I think for best effect I would inlay and then re-finish the top. The old finish will help keep your media from contaminating the top as it should lift off with the finish. Epoxy or resin casting is not a half bad idea either as Kev suggests, but not everyone likes that look. Since such deep grooves are a real pain for all sorts of reasons I wonder if the table came with a loose glass top.

Shaffer, I like your idea but, how would you do an Inlay with the curves? Can you direct me to a site

For a beginner, stringing might be a bit intimidating. A glass top is certainly the simplest solution. If you want to try a "pour-in" style of inlay, search these forums for topics from a fine gentleman by the handle of "duckkisser". He does a lot of inlay with stone and other materials using a fairly straightforward technique with cyanoacrylate glue (aka super glue) or epoxy.

That top looks like oak to me, even if you fill the grooves the open grain will still cause problems. I think glass or a protective pad are the way to go. Even if you fill the grooves and then do full filled finish to fill the pores of the oak a quality dining table should be protected during use. For something very nice a Berger table pad or else a Linoleum Desk pad or desk protector from an office supply should work. Just put it away after use and your table will always look new.